My ex owes me money

Options
Hi!
I'm after a bit of advice...
I recently split with my partner and he owes me a lot of money. He was supposed to have been paying me back £100 a week until it was paid off and failed to do that even when we were together. Now we have split, he said he would still give me the £100 a week. I've had nothing. He's planned to meet me on 3 occasions with cash and he's cancelled every time and the last time didn't even get in touch with me at all. That was Saturday, and I finally had it being the reasonable one so I submitted a money claim online (I did warn him I would do it). The problem is, he has moved from the area and presume he has gone back to stay at his parents house at the weekend and in a BnB during the week for work. I used his mums address as correspondence. Do you think this will be a problem? I also used his email address.

Is anyone familiar with the process? Will he have received an email as well as a letter? If I know him as well as I think I do, he won't respond to the claim and will just leave it until it gets to the final stages. Will the fact I've used a non-permanent address cause a problem with the claim.

Im trying as hard as I can to not let it get to me but I know it will be dragged out and I'm worried it will be a lost cause altogether.

Any advice will be appreciated

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tilly87 wrote: »
    Im trying as hard as I can to not let it get to me but I know it will be dragged out and I'm worried it will be a lost cause altogether.

Any advice will be appreciated
    Was it a 'can't pay' or 'won't pay' situation before you separated? Because I'm thinking that if it was a 'can't pay' then you've not got a lot to gain from a small claim.

Do you think he'll defend the claim? You realise that if he's moved away then he can ask for the claim to be heard at his local court, not yours?

That's assuming service was successful. If his parents send it back 'not at this address' you're back to square one.

Sorry not to be more encouraging ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Tilly87
    Options
    It was a both to be honest. He told me had money for me in the end and cancelled meetings to give it me. I have proof of all that.

I didn't think about them sending it back saying not at this address. I guess I have to just hope for the best at this point.
    Thanks
  • Mary_Bing
    Mary_Bing Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Don't you think it might be a cause for seeking legal redress?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure