Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt

Options

Comments

• sossij
    sossij Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Aaaargh - so a deposit for a house will actually cost me twice as much....! Nah, not worth living like that - I like my logic just fine of trying not to even think about it! :D

Ha ha! :rotfl:

Good luck! :)
  • loomacdon
    Options
    I find fruit and fibre has too much fruit so buy one Kellogs fruit and fibre, cause the fruits better and one of the shops own brand of branflakes and mix them together.
    2009 MFW Challenge = £00.00overpaid
  • lizhog10
    Options
    In order to save money:
    1. Never go to the supermarket without a shopping list
    2. Never buy food simply because it looked nice, and you fancied it
    3. Always make a list of meals for the week, and shop for that food
    4. Always attempt to justify to yourself why you are buying something
    5. Start the month with a slip of paper in your wallet with the amount of money you can spend that month and every time you spend any money, subtract that from the total so you can keep track of your spending.
    6. Remember, however depressing this feeling, you have an ultimate goal - to be debt free

I know all these, and they do work, but why do I end up feeling so depressed. I cannot admit to anyone how much I owe, and certainly not my partner as I feel so disgusted with myself.
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    lizhog10 - you can tell us here - this site is for mutual support and we're all in the same boat - I've been there and luckily am over the mountain now, but you can talk to us here about anything.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • ska1958
    Options
    Although these may have been on before someone might want to know about these 2 which are my current faves:
    https://www.freecycle.org
    for a place to get great free stuff and give away what you don't need. Website takes you through to your local one.
    and
    https://www.readitswapit.co.uk
    where you list books you don't want and choose ones you do and they're yours for the cost of the postage (about £1.49) - a really great idea!
  • dawn060861
    Options
    Why not have a clothes/shoes/bags/books/DVD's swap with friends, have a night in, a cheap bottle of wine and ask friends to bring along things they no longer need or want and swap or sell cheaply, Whatever is left donate to charity.

Dawn
  • mahon73
    Options
    Don't buy tea/coffee at work - Bring it from home.

Cook dinner more frequently and less going out or taking in food from restaurants.

Create a realistic personal budget and stick to it.

Put money away in savings every month. Doesn't matter how much. Alittle bit adds up quickly.
    :: No Unauthorised Links in Signatures please - FM ::
  • debtworrier
    Options
    If you use public transport in London, but not enough to warrant getting a weekly/monthly/annual travelcard, get a prepay Oystercard - big savings on regular single fares, and a fare 'cap' when you have spent the equivalent of the cost of a daily travelcard: https://www.oystercard.com

Money Man Steve

Though do bear in mind that the details of your journey are logged and kept on a central database for about 6 weeks. (They may, of course be archived somewhere after that, I don't know.) It makes me twitchy, so I often just pay the fare and keep my privacy. ;)
  • debtworrier
    Options

.....snip....

7: If you really like it and are bored with normal TV, disconnect the aerial and inform TV licensing!

Ah - actually that won't work. You're liable to pay the license fee if you own an appliance that is capable of receiving the signal. In order to render a TV incapable of receiving the signal you have to remove the um .... signal decoding thingies... (forgotten what they're called). Anyway it's dangerous to mess about with the TV innards (even with the set unplugged) so please don't do it.
  • tryhard_2
    tryhard_2 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    dawn060861 wrote:
    Why not have a clothes/shoes/bags/books/DVD's swap with friends, have a night in, a cheap bottle of wine and ask friends to bring along things they no longer need or want and swap or sell cheaply, Whatever is left donate to charity.

Dawn

this is a really good suggestion
    TH
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family