Sudden drop in credit score

Options
I know, I know. It's just a number and it's the history that matters not the score. But I got my new ClearScore (Equifax) score this morning and it's dropped enormously.

My score has consistently been between 456 and 510 for as long as I've had ClearScore (multiple years). This month it has dropped right down to 393.

The list of "things you're doing well" is identical to last month. There are no negative factors. The only difference from last month is the closure of two bank accounts (Bank of Scotland, closed a while ago due to the interest rate drop, but only showing this month).

Could the mere drop of two accounts, neither of which has an overdraft facility, really cause such a large plummet?

It's mainly academic, as I have no forthcoming major credit applications, but I am completely stumped as to why the drop is so steep given that none of my positive factors have changed and I have no negative factors. Anyone have any experience of this happening and can I expect it to recover?
#145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
#060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
This is the secret message.

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Who knows and who cares?
    If there is no negative information in your credit files (missed/late payments, defaults etc) then there is nothing to be concerned about.
    You start your post saying you know it's just a number and it is the history that counts then you spoil it by ending your post 'can I expect it to recover?'.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes the scores will react negatively to any change including account closures.

But I wouldn’t worry about it.

I can lend you some of my points if you need them back?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RichyRich wrote: »
    I know, I know. It's just a number and it's the history that matters not the score. But I got my new ClearScore (Equifax) score this morning and it's dropped enormously.

My score has consistently been between 456 and 510 for as long as I've had ClearScore (multiple years). This month it has dropped right down to 393.

The list of "things you're doing well" is identical to last month. There are no negative factors. The only difference from last month is the closure of two bank accounts (Bank of Scotland, closed a while ago due to the interest rate drop, but only showing this month).

Could the mere drop of two accounts, neither of which has an overdraft facility, really cause such a large plummet?

It's mainly academic, as I have no forthcoming major credit applications, but I am completely stumped as to why the drop is so steep given that none of my positive factors have changed and I have no negative factors. Anyone have any experience of this happening and can I expect it to recover?

It's because of the good weather - people are outside enjoying the sun so not checking the credit report and not seeing the CRA adverts, so they drop the score to get you back inside and worrying, hoping to tempt you into paying for their improvement "service" to improve the score they themselves give you.

You say at the start you know the score is meaningless, any change in your financial history can affect it, just ignore it, it's as valid as a horoscope.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know, I know. It's just a number and it's the history that matters not the score.

Excellent! Then you will understand that there are no answers to the rest of your post.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I will be the closure of the two accounts. But as everyone else has said. Doesn't matter.
  • gionnetto
    gionnetto Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Check if by any chance you too have had your electoral roll info dropped from your report... It's beginning to sound like a trend.
    Your cholesterol levels are not seen, or used, by your heart and arteries, so ignore it.
    :eek:.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport