Travel to where in June / July / August?

Options
Hello, I wasn't planning on going away this year so it's a bit short notice, well still 2, 3, 4 months of planning but yeah. lol, I usually research my destinations like a year prior. My Father recently divorced and wants to get away from the UK for 2 to 4 weeks in one of the months above, he asked both me his son and my sister if we fancied it. I accepted my sister said no. Thing is I'm not sure where to go and neither does he. In the past he often travels to mainland Spain. I have only ever travelled to Majorca, Malaga, Canary Islands, Turkey (didn't like that place) and Scandinavia.

I'll be honest I would prefer to go somewhere other than Europe but it might be a little too costly for my father who still has a mortgage to pay for so we may be left with no other choice but to stick to Europe. I would like to travel to America, Mexico or parts of Asia like Japan, Thailand but Asia isn't as warm in our Summer months are they?

We are both very out-going but don't really care for the party lifestyle although we don't mind it either. When I visited Playa De Las Americas (Tenerife) and Marbella (Malaga) I had an absolute blast it wasn't just partying there were lots to do. Even Marmaris was okay in Turkey but the trips we booked felt low budget. Waterparks were nothing on Tenerife' as an example. So any suggestions? I won't need specific hotels just country + location :) oh, and I almost forgot somewhere really warm.

Also my passport runs out in July 2020 am I fine to travel anywhere at the moment without restrictions?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what is your budget? July August are school holiday / peak travel times so your money will not go as far as other times of the year in some countries.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plus why would having over a year left on a passport be an issue?
  • SweptAside
    SweptAside Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2019 at 8:08AM
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    what is your budget? July August are school holiday / peak travel times so your money will not go as far as other times of the year in some countries.

Budget is not really much of an issue for me at least, it's my Father who may not be able to part with as much funds. I'm sure any trip within Europe due to the shorter less costly flights will be fine. As in op it's my personal preference to go somewhere outside the EU, I could help moneywise but it's whether he's up for flying long distances as well. I doubt pricing will be much of an issue to most places if I help him out.

In the past at least travelling within the EU for me in July, August has been fine cost wise with flights, hotels and spend. Whether the same applies when travelling to somewjere further afield I have no idea.

Plus why would having over a year left on a passport be an issue?

Well I hear some places have tight restrictions on passports less than a year old and you can be refused entry to a country, that's why I asked. If we book in August for example I only have 11 months to run on my passport.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't just look at flight costs, you also need to take into account accommodation and living expenses. While flights to Asia are more expensive you can live very cheaply there, especially if you book everything yourself. I'd consider Thailand, our summer is their rainy season but the temperature is unlikely to be any cooler than here except perhaps in the far north.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    SweptAside wrote: »
    Budget is not really much of an issue for me at least, it's my Father who may not be able to part with as much funds. I'm sure any trip within Europe due to the shorter less costly flights will be fine. As in op it's my personal preference to go somewhere outside the EU, I could help moneywise but it's whether he's up for flying long distances as well. I doubt pricing will be much of an issue to most places if I help him out.
    Why not have a chat to your Dad, ask what his total budget is (flights, accommodation, food/drink and other spends) and see if he has any particular destination he'd like to go to, if he could manage a long-haul flight and come back so suggestions can be more specific.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    Options
    Its a shame people have no imagination themselves anymore.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Egypt is an option........
  • SweptAside
    SweptAside Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2019 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Why not have a chat to your Dad, ask what his total budget is (flights, accommodation, food/drink and other spends) and see if he has any particular destination he'd like to go to, if he could manage a long-haul flight and come back so suggestions can be more specific.

He said around about £1500 with flights, hotel and spends. Travel Insurance will be bought as well of course separately I guess, rather than within budget. He likes the sound of Cyprus. I did a bit of searching earlier and it seems the long haul flights like Asia, Mexico are considered rainy or hurricane season in July / August so it's probably for the best to discount those. Some of those places including America would surely be too costly anyway even with a 2 week holiday. Flights and hotels are roughly £1000 and every person I have spoken to in the past have said you need another £1000, £1500 spend for America and Thailand, Japan probably similar as I hear it's expensive. So I guess we are sticking closer to home. If he is willing to accept my help though, I can easily stretch that further.

Its a shame people have no imagination themselves anymore.

What have you actually contributed to this thread :/. Quit being so negative. We live in the social age. There is no need to book blind anymore. Suggestions and recommendations can actually be really helpful :)

Archergirl wrote: »
    Egypt is an option........

Interesting option. Thank you.

• JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Travel insurance likely more expensive outside Europe; USA, etc even more so.

Southern Med usually not so much very warm as baking hot in those months. How about northern Italy, incl lakes if you aren't insistent on seaside, or Croatia.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you want a beach holiday with a few days out or a proper adventure?

Your post suggests the former, in which case there is not that much point straying beyond Europe in the summer months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure