Ditching the last of the pizza debt

Options

Comments

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kittychick wrote: »
    he had a quick look at him and I'm quoting now said "he's not got long left!" our poor boy who is not in pain, still trots after us when we go in the kitchen and had happily been sunbathing in the garden and eating beef a minute before was written off.xx

Hi there Kittychick, this is shocking, some vets just have no clue do they? I'm glad you complained at the time. When I first took purrball to our new vet, she said she couldn't hear his heart beat because he was purring so loudly (he does that when he's scared) so she turned the tap on and held him next to the sink to try and frighten him more. He started wriggling and crying and I told her to put him down, he doesn't like that. I've been asking for one of the male vets ever since, and now we have one who is much more gentle with him. Some folk are in the wrong job.
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Have you varnished your floors? if not I can recommend Danish oil....easy to apply and a great finish - we have it everywhere - kitchen worktops floors and doors and window frames - interior and exterior :)

Hope the cat feels better soon. We have aged moggies too - the oldest has just started to show his age in between skipping round like a kitten - he has started snoring very loudly :rotfl: the VeeEeeTee said nothing to worry about......now his claws on back feet are looking a little long - think I will need to get them looked at. Last time I clipped an animals claws - a white rabbit - it looked like something akin to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre:eek: Rabbit was fine btw - just clipped the claw a little too short :D The cats haven't cost us much over the years so I dont begrudge the expense - like you say thats what the EF is for!

I'll check out the oil Igamogam. Lol to the cat snoring, purrball does that too, more than snoring, grunting and wheezing, he's hilarious, exactly like my dad! :rotfl:
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Kittychick
    Kittychick Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I think a big part of the problem with the vets is that it's a tiny surgery that forms a part of a big chain-everytime we've gone apart from once we have seen a different vet, I want to see the same person and build a relationship really. We are thinking we'll stay with them for now-we only really need to get his prescription from them, the insurance is all organised. If we need to see a vet it's likely we will register elsewhere sadly.
    And... Yay for the stripped floor... And more yay for the woodburner, we love ours and now our gas/electric us only 72 a month for our drafty 3bed victorian villa. We are really stingy though and collect a fair bit of free wood throughout the year, not sure if that's an option for you :)
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Danish oil is lovely - really brings out a nice finish to wood.

We've just moved into a house with a wood stove and I'm looking forward to many evenings with a roaring fire (assuming it's not a total PITA to set up, of course - always seems easier in movies/postcards!).
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Danish Oil - we bought ours on Amaz0n :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Kittychick
    Kittychick Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiddenshadow-, once you get used to setting the fire it becomes easier, at first can be a bit of a faff... Make sure to get it swept if it's not been done recently. We get free wood from local pallet maker so that helps massively!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    I am actually gobsmacked to hear about some of these vets :eek:
    We're really lucky in that our vet is a cat only vet and there are 2 of them - I know them both really well and couldn't be in the hands of more caring people. It costs me a packet but I suspect I'm one of their best customers with my 6 moggies.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 August 2017 at 9:06PM
    Options
    Well, purrball is getting better every day so fingers crossed he's on the right dosage. I'm going to hang on to this vet while I have him, it's hard to find a good vet.

On other news, I am most definitely leaving my job and have started letting people at work know. It comes to a natural end in around 7 weeks' time. It was always a temporary post and the permanent job they are now trying to create for me is definitely not worth the poor wage, the stress and having to cope with my difficult boss. As you all know, I've been fed up in this job for a while, I was just hanging on to get my qualification, so it's time to move on.

Scary :eek: and exciting! :j

I'm going to register as self- employed and I have a good friend helping me work out the details, how much to charge, where to advertise and so on. This is a massive leap but OH is right behind me and supporting all the way. I also have some experience of this from a few years back so hopefully I'm well enough informed and have enough backing to make it work. :) I can't wait!

We have a workman coming this evening to fix the fireplace and the wall. Let's hope he manages and it's not one of these things that drags on and on. Fingers crossed.

Happy debt busting everyone. :)
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with the transition to SE! :)
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the transition. We have a wood burner and it is great. As others have said the first few times are difficult but once you know your stove its simple as long as the wood is dry.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks hiddenshadow. I think I need all the luck I can get! :)

And hi redofromstart. :hello: Thanks for the tips about the wood burner. I'm good at setting a fire, but never had a thing like this so we'll see how it goes. I may come back to you for more advice.

So our workman came round and did a great job dismantling the fireplace. It's very tidy indeed and we had a chat about what happens next. He's going to pick up some stuff he needs to level off the brick and then get the plaster board fitted. This is all going remarkably well so far. Good.

I'm off work today and have a million chores to do. Ah well. Happy debt busting everyone. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure