PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bailiff demand for previous tenants

Options

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    OK that's good to know. They said they needed written proof as I could be anyone on the phone but then the same stands for replying by email surely? It's a block of flats accessible by a main door so unlikely they'll get as close as my front door.

It's irrelevant anyway, they just add you to a database and the search for unpaid debts to chase you for.

I've had bailiffs appear one in a rented property, both professional, waited outside, I got my ID and never saw them again.
  • Guest101
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    "Hello, Mr Debt Collector? I'm not Mr X. No, I won't tell you who I am or provide you with any ID - and, yes, I do expect you to take me at face value..."

Yeh, that should work just fine... Can't see any problem in that, can you?

By the same token, "Hello Mr Debt Collector, please do feel free to carry on wasting resources at this address with no risk to me whatsoever"
  • Guest101
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Standard procedure when dealing with scum; tell them you're not the person they're looking for and you don't know where he is - and that's it. Don't engage in any further conversation. If they come onto your property, order them off. If they won't go, call the police.

Do not, under any circumstances show them any documents or let them in the house, or give them any information whatsoever. You do not have to prove who you are.

That's not good advice. If they are real bailiffs (or HCEOs) and have a warrant of control, you need to show them proof.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Because, of course, the house could not possibly have been bought by a different landlord with the tenant staying the same. Oh, no. Never happens.

Maybe I should say I am this person and tell them to do their worse and give all sorts of obscenities over the phone.

Letters like above goes straight to my recycling bin, at least someone will be happy
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    That's not good advice. If they are real bailiffs (or HCEOs) and have a warrant of control, you need to show them proof.

Someone's been watching 'Can't Pay we take it away'
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Guest101
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Someone's been watching 'Can't Pay we take it away'

Best of the daytime telly!

But that's not where I got it from. If you look at it from the lenders (or otherwise) point of view, the debtor is going to try many ways to not pay. County Court Bailiffs and HCEOs do have some powers when executing a warrant. Being difficult wont help, the police wont help unless you can show them proof you're not the debtor, so cut out the hassle and just show them proof.
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think for a minute they're all as nice as the blokes on Can't Pay or The Sheriffs are Coming, who abide by the law and don't pretend they have more rights than they do to enter your property or demand payment.....but being awkward serves no purpose. Just prove who you are if they come knocking (though I wouldn't waste my valuable time emailing or posting them anything!).
    I think people who call them scum and shout 'I don't know how you sleep at night' and that sort of thing are the guilty debtors in general....if you're owed money then of course you're going to employ people to get it for you and you should pay up if you owe money. Nothing scummy about someone just doing their job.
  • Guest101
    Options
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    I don't think for a minute they're all as nice as the blokes on Can't Pay or The Sheriffs are Coming, who abide by the law and don't pretend they have more rights than they do to enter your property or demand payment.....but being awkward serves no purpose. Just prove who you are if they come knocking (though I wouldn't waste my valuable time emailing or posting them anything!).
    I think people who call them scum and shout 'I don't know how you sleep at night' and that sort of thing are the guilty debtors in general....if you're owed money then of course you're going to employ people to get it for you and you should pay up if you owe money. Nothing scummy about someone just doing their job.

You'd be surprised. The majority are extremely professional. There's no reason not to be.

1: it's highly regulated and they'd lose their job if they did behave badly (and more importantly lose their accreditation)

2: They have the law on their side. Whether that's right to enter, remove goods or whatever. Their acting on behalf of a court
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even if you were the debtor, they have no right to enter your premises, so if they try, call the police.

Also warn that you will take legal action, if they continue to harass you.

Are you on the electoral roll ? If so you could suggest that they check it. I assume they, if official, would have access to the full version and not the one, open to the general public, that most of us opt to be excluded from.
  • Guest101
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Even if you were the debtor, they have no right to enter your premises, so if they try, call the police. - That's not correct, there's plenty of reasons why they may have rights to access the premises if the OP was the debtor, or the debtor lived there.

Also warn that you will take legal action, if they continue to harass you. - What action?

Are you on the electoral roll ? If so you could suggest that they check it. I assume they, if official, would have access to the full version and not the one, open to the general public, that most of us opt to be excluded from.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/opt-out-of-the-open-register

Everyone’s name and address goes on the full version of the electoral register. The full version of the register is only used for:
    • elections
    • preventing and detecting crime
    • checking applications for loans or credit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills