Sky or Now?

Options
My current ISP ADSL 'contract' is ending and have been looking at Sky and Now.

Given that Now is owned by Sky are there any significant differences between service levels of the two companies.

Have looked at Now reviews and they are less than flatering!

Anyone on the forum had any experience of the two ISPs

Comments

• NittyGritty
    NittyGritty Posts: 940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 April 2018 at 7:03PM
    Options
    personally ive just switched today to now tv fibre 38mb broadband due to plusnet raising their prices

when you compare the exact same deal with sky theres no comparison really

sky fibre 38mb broadband unlimited = £38 plus £59.95 set up

now tv fibre 38mb broadband unlimited =£20 NO set up fee just £9.99 postage for router, and only 12 month contract!! rather than an 18 with sky

remember to use quidco or topcashback should u decide to move to get cashback

you will also be given a minimum guaranteed speed when you signup ,, min for me is 34mb in my area

so if it falls below that figure and they don't fix it you will have grounds to leave free of charge, so we will see how it goes with now tv broadband
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's service levels I was more interested in. Last thing I want is a load of hassle from Indian call centres.

So do you know if Now uses the same back office functions as Sky, because from what I read Sky are fairly well regarded.

I too are moving from Plusnet as they have no incentives to stay with them.
  • NittyGritty
    edited 10 April 2018 at 1:14PM
    Options
    frankie wrote: »
    It's service levels I was more interested in. Last thing I want is a load of hassle from Indian call centres.

So do you know if Now uses the same back office functions as Sky, because from what I read Sky are fairly well regarded.

I too are moving from Plusnet as they have no incentives to stay with them.

ive used their now tv broadband call centres and have been in uk and have had very good service with my enquiries, no Indians up to yet, so I,m assuming they are all from uk
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My problem with offerings like Now is that if my broadband is down I've lost my internet and TV (ok will have some recorded programs) so I like the idea of having both satellite and broadband options.
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    newatc wrote: »
    My problem with offerings like Now is that if my broadband is down I've lost my internet and TV (ok will have some recorded programs) so I like the idea of having both satellite and broadband options.

soon it will be over the air only broadband with sky, sat dishes will be phased out
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    frankie wrote: »
    from what I read Sky are fairly well regarded.
    Sky are ridiculously good. Sometimes it can take a while to get through if they are busy, but once you get to somebody they are very good indeed. They are knowledgeable and friendly, and happy to skip the 'script' and jump into the nitty gritty if you let them know that you have some understanding of the system.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2018 at 3:35PM
    Options
    soon it will be over the air only broadband with sky, sat dishes will be phased out

Not quite

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5311945/Sky-moves-away-satellite-broadcasting.html

In addition, there are quite a few Sky TV subscribers out there who have inadequate broadband for the service to be delivered by the internet. They won't want to loose those.
  • ck12111
    ck12111 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if a Now Broadband box works with the SKY Q wifi hotspot feature or not? (getting Sky Q installed soon) Its the same box just rebadged but there may be a software restriction I expect...
  • manutd99
    manutd99 Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

you will also be given a minimum guaranteed speed when you signup ,, min for me is 34mb in my area

so if it falls below that figure and they don't fix it you will have grounds to leave free of charge, so we will see how it goes with now tv broadband

Iv already signed up. Where and how do I find out what my minimum speed is?
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    poppasmurf_bewdley Posts: 5,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2018 at 10:38AM
    Options
    After having Sky TV via satellite since about 1991, I moved last year to a grade 2 listed building where we could not have a satellite dish.

We bought a secondhand YouView box to record the Freeview channels (which are 90% of our viewing), have Now TV on a deal so pay less than £3 a month at the moment, Netflix, BT Sport via Chromecast, and use a friends SkyGo (with permission) for any soccer I want to watch.

As our BT Fibre Broadband is a solid 75Mbs, we have no trouble with any of our viewing.

I certainly wouldn't go back to paying silly Sky prices. We never paid full price but we are still about £35 a week better off than when we paid £45 for Sky World. Who needs to pay for all those cheap and tawdry channels we never watched!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure