Please can we have a Spam button on news comments

The spam button works well on forum posts but there is no attempt to remove them from comments put on the end of news stories or blogs.

For example at the time of writing this story has 2 spam posts from US lenders on it.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/charity-watchdog----ucas---after-student-loan-firm-emails/

Please can we have a Spam button so they can be removed from News and Blog stories too.

Comments

• Seems to be a mark as spam link but I need to log in to Facebook to use it! Should just have an MSE spam button
  • Hi All,

Just to clarify, the comments at the end of a news article or guide are a Facebook plugin to the main site and not linked to the Forums. There is already a function within that to report things as Spam (as part of Facebook) and there is an email address to report things to directly as well :)

There is no technical link between the Forums and those comments so the spam function within the Forums can't be "plugged" in to it :)

Hope that helps explain :)

MSE Tine

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Thanks for the reply, I suspected as much. As someone who avoids Facebook the spam option isn't available to me.

I think there is a Facebook API which would give you more control, but it would mean a programmer applying it rather than just dropping in a plugin.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Several weeks ago I made a similar comment on the main Spam thread.

Martin Lewis occasionally complains about fraudulent misuse of his name image or website name by spammers, including on Facebook, so I did think there would be some interest.
    redux wrote: »
    I just read an MSE article about erroneous energy supplier switches.

In the comments below the article (i.e. directly below it, not in the associated forum discussion) are a couple of spammed referral links to rival suppliers.

There is a link for each to report it as spam. This opens a Facebook page. I'm not on Facebook.

Nobody replied.

I've seen spam on some articles since, and I just came here ready to requote my post and ask if anything might be happening.

So I congratulate the OP of this thread on gaining some staff attention to the subject.

It's up to MSE to think about its level of interest in problem and solution, as I'm another person who won't be joining Facebook just to help with this.
  • Every article about electricity has several referral spams in the comments. I report to facebook, but honestly I'm not sure it does anything.

If we on the forums did that outside of the designated zone we'd be deleted and maybe banned (it's the same people every time).

Why are these people allowed to do it where it's more visible? If FB doesn't allow you enough control over comments you shouldn't be using FB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure