PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to tell estimate house age in Rightmove ad

Options
Is there a way to tell how old a house when looking at an advert online? Sometimes it's quite obvious, either the ad will say "1930s semi" or you can tell from the decor that the house hasn't been redecorated since 1970s so it must be at least that old... On the other hand, if the house is "in a popular development" or has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms or the houses next to it look identical, it's likely 2000s+ new build.

Other than this sort of detective work, is there a way to find out what decade the house is from?

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2019 at 1:56PM
    Options
    Ask the agent?
    If you know the area and have local knowledge you might know when the house was built or can ask maybe a relative who might remember them going up....?
    Street view or local planning portals if its a very new build/conversion?
    Historical street photos?
    RM is slowly building up histories with sale prices so its sometimes possible to see a newish development with first sale price being listed as "new build"

Is there a particular property you are looking at or is it more of a general question....

If its particular then post a link someone will be along with a bit of wisdom
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Generally it's pretty obvious from looking at the style of house what era it's from. Are you talking about a particular property, and/or is there a reason you need to know?
  • Trebor000
    Options
    maps.nls.uk/geo/find/

The national library of Scotland has a collection of old maps covering the uk. Which can help determine the age of older properties
  • need_an_answer
    edited 11 October 2019 at 2:08PM
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    The Land Reg title does not list when a property was built.

apologies...i' ll amend my post...getting my deeds and titles muddled up!!!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• SunnyCat
    SunnyCat Posts: 152 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2019 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Thank you all, this forum is a fountain of knowledge! My question isn't about a particular single property. We're in market to buy a house in an area we've never lived before, and would like the house to be from 1970s/80s or older. So when I get Rightmove alerts I'd like to be able to fairly quickly determine whether it's a newish house which were not interested in or an older one which meets the criteria. As mentioned, 90% of the time it's pretty obvious but every so often I cannot tell whether it's a well maintained / recently renovated old house or not so well looked after new one... I may look into these maps and see if it helps. Street view might also work!
  • need_an_answer
    edited 11 October 2019 at 3:05PM
    Options
    I've usually found that there is a particular style for a 70'80's house...they do tend to have slightly larger rooms than those in 90's or 2000's...and garden sizes in newer things are usually much smaller.

Garage sizes can also be a tell sign...whilst in general cars have got larger,garage have got smaller...so if you can fit your car in the garage its probably of the era your looking for!

Thatcher houses we call them round here as in Margaret Ill see if I can find some links to the sorts of things

google is quite good if you put in housing styles...look at this from Barratts through the years

https://www.barrattdevelopments.co.uk/about-us/history
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• SunnyCat
    SunnyCat Posts: 152 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2019 at 3:07PM
    Options
    I've usually found that there is a particular style for a 70'80's house...they do tend to have slightly larger rooms than those in 90's or 2000's...and garden sizes in newer things are usually much smaller.

Garage sizes can also be a tell sign...whilst in general cars have got larger,garage have got smaller...so if you can fit your car in the garage its probably of the era your looking for!

Thatcher houses we call them round here as in Margaret Ill see if I can find some links to the sorts of things

This is very much the reason we're not interested in a new build or even a second hand new build... the other reason is build quality :) 70/80s is the upper age range, we'd be happy with a 20s/30s and in between too..
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    SunnyCat wrote: »
    the other reason is build quality :) 70/80s is the upper age range, we'd be happy with a 20s/30s and in between too..

A lot of the houses built between the wars were thrown up in great haste. Whilst most are still standing, it is no indication of build quality. Mind you, the same can be said for most eras when there was a spike in house construction.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Post a link to the ad here and we'll probably get close enough to the correct answer.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SunnyCat wrote: »
    ...we'd be happy with a 20s/30s and in between too..
    We last had a house constructed during the inter-war period. The only reason the roof didn't spread like the others around, was because the [STRIKE]Germans[/STRIKE] enemy blew most of it off and the replacement was in a much lighter tile.

The foundations were under 30cm deep and the bay windows were mostly render over a wire and wood frame, so leaked heat like a sieve.Internal walls seemed to be made from some kind of waste product, like cinders, which crumbled when drilled. According to an old neighbour, two 'rough men' manufactured those on-site!

Just before we left, a neighbour discovered their bricks below DPC were shattering, threatening the outer leaf of their wall. I knew ours were going west too, because I'd already replaced a few of them when laying a patio. It seemed then a good time to sell....

Fortunately, we understood that these sort of problems might come with a house of that period and we could see it wasn't built well before we purchased it from a friend. However, we loved living there, because it had plenty of space, a humungous garden and the road itself was wide, in the 'avenue' style.

Just as today, builders in the 30s and 40s wanted to make a good profit, so if they literally gave away large chunks of land, corners had to be cut elsewhere. I'm not saying all houses built then were poor quality, but being of that age is no guarantee of something with great structural integrity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure