Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littleboots13
    • By littleboots13 16th Nov 19, 9:50 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    littleboots13
    Forced to claim as a couple (Partner is student)
    • 16th Nov 19, 9:50 PM
    Forced to claim as a couple (Partner is student) 16th Nov 19 at 9:50 PM
    Hi,
    I have been recieving UC (317) for a couple of months since being out of work. As of October my parter has moved in with me, I informed them of this and they said I have no choice and have to make a joint claim. She is a full time student who lives off her maintenance loan as she's currently swamped with uni projects so isn't going to be looking for work until that dies down. She doesn't want anything to do with UC and we don't share money. Her loan is 8944 per year. After her bills, travel and what she needs for uni gets paid out each month she barely has anything left. I have been told that they are going to take her loan into account and now i'm concerend they are going to say we have enough money and reject our claim, as her loan works out more monthly than what they pay out for a regular couples claim currently. I can't seem to find any information on this and we don't have an appointment with them untl next Thursday so i'm stuck wondering and worrying. I am getting really concerned as I can't afford to be rejected and my partner can't afford to pay my bills and buy my food as well as hers. Does anyone have any infomation on this at all so i know what to expect? Thanks for you time.
Page 2
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Nov 19, 2:38 PM
    • 6,257 Posts
    • 5,772 Thanks
    poppy12345

Incidentally, poppy, hope you are now well settled in your new home (I think I recall that you recently moved).
    Originally posted by calcotti
    I did move house about 5 weeks ago and all settled now. Thanks for asking
    • 11krage
    • By 11krage 21st Nov 19, 8:06 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    11krage
    When your partner provides UC with evidence of her student loan, make sure she finds and provides the breakdown of the maintenance loan. This will be available to her, even if she's lost it and needs to request it again.

It can be like pulling teeth requesting claimants bring this in and they often only provide the page showing the overall figure. However there are sometimes amounts shown in the breakdown they can deduct from the total amount, reducing the overall figure.

After they've worked out from this the total figure to take into account, they'll then calculate the length of the academic year in assessment periods. Often 9 or 10 months depending on the course.

Another note to add is if your partner didn't take out the maximum student income they could have, they are obligated to inform UC of this. This is due to benefits not supposed to be used to look after students. Only those students who after taking the maximum loan still qualify for UC. UC would then take into account the figure of the maxium possible loan they could've had (minusing anything they can deduct after seeing the breakdown).

So now we have a monthly figure (total to take into account divided over the number of assessment periods the academic year would span). 110 pounds is then deducted from this monthly figure. This reduced amount is the end monthly figure UC would deduct over the academic year.

If this is an undergraduate course and so has summer holidays, the deduction should stop after the end date used in the calculation. And start again with the student income calculation your partner would provide previous to the following academic year.
    Amount left to pay on house = 64,400.

Savings buffer = 1,028.75 of 2415.

Next large expense = 159 of 483.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,323Posts Today

6,538Users online

Martin's Twitter