Little steps: My saving diary

Hi everyone, I'm a returning poster and previously wrote about my battle to save money here In the time between my last post and this one, I spent a year working for a family who had zero respect for me, which pushed me into taking a risk on moving away and then 2 years working as a live in nanny 250 miles away from home. While I was a live in, my wages were low but my living expenses were covered so I managed to save a fair bit of my income.

In the end I wanted to move closer to home and after 2 years living in my nanny family's spare room I was craving my own space away from work! Now I'm living in Yorkshire in a house share and working a 5 min drive away. I feel much happier generally but it hasn't worked out so well financially.

When I left my live in job I had approx 9k in a LISA, which I can't access until I buy a house and just under 4k in savings which I lived on in the 3 months between moving back to my parents house and job hunting/relocating to Yorkshire. I've some teething problems in the first few months of my new job, hours fluctuating, not earning what I thought I would every month (though its hopefully sorted now) and I've relied on my savings more than I would like. I now have only £500 savings left and I'm living paycheck to paycheck with nothing left to put into savings :(

The good news is I will finish paying off my car at the end of August and then I will be £220 better off a month. I want to build my savings back up to £1000 and then work on creating a bigger emergency fund in case things go pear shaped at work again. I'm setting myself some little steps to help me get there. For the last few days of May, these steps are:
  1. Eat from the freezer/cupboards. Only buy fresh food such as milk and fruit and use up what I already have.
  2. Establish a budget to start in June.
  3. Declutter and list unwanted items on Ebay.

Advice is always welcome and I look forward to reading through your saving diaries too :)

Take care,
Hayley
#84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
Grocery Challenge January £0/£80

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello thrifty Hayley all of your ideas sound great to me. Well done in joining again and welcome to the nuthouse. You might not have much now but every bit you save will soon mount up.

Your post has come at just the right time and stopped me wasting money on fleabay. I am going to rest and then garden. I earned a fair bit from decluttering on ebay so good luck with it.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Thanks savingwannabe, I remember you from my last post :) Hope you're well? Glad I could be of assistance lol, enjoy your gardening!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi thrifty-Hayley :hello:

I look forward to following your diary. I am in a similar position, all savings used up due to a family crisis travelling up to Yorkshire and back to South of England where I live now and a few broken appliances and car bills adding to the spending. I am hoping things are on an even keel now and plan to start an emergency fund from payday the end of May.

I'm eating out of stores until payday and decluttering too ! Perhaps we can cheer one another on :D
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Hi thrifty-Hayley :hello:

I look forward to following your diary. I am in a similar position, all savings used up due to a family crisis travelling up to Yorkshire and back to South of England where I live now and a few broken appliances and car bills adding to the spending. I am hoping things are on an even keel now and plan to start an emergency fund from payday the end of May.

I'm eating out of stores until payday and decluttering too ! Perhaps we can cheer one another on :D

Hi Skint yet Again. I'm up for that :) Always good to have someone with similar goals! I'm going on a bank holiday picnic tomorrow with my boyfriend so raided Asda's reduced bread section. Got a french stick for 10p and a big loaf of bread for 10p, result! Already got ham and cheese so feeling quite proud of my "thrifty picnic". Lets skim over the fact that I also bought packs of snacky picnic food that totaled about £5. Have only been going out with the boyfriend for a few weeks so don't want him to think I'm a total cheapskate just yet :rotfl:
  • savingwannabe
    Hurrah for picnic. Thrifty I love this site as it helps us to stay motivated and you all stop me wasting money I don't have.

Enjoy your time with boyfriend I think the weather will be good today.
  • I checked my LISA today and there's more money in there than I thought, yay for interest! I'm up to £10,206 which is great but I'm not able to access it until I buy a house. So for now I'm focusing on building savings that I can access. I want to start by building my savings account up to £1000. I'm not exactly a high earner so I want to cut back and save anywhere I can.

I've joined June's Grocery Challenge and set myself a target of £100 to include toiletries/cleaning stuff etc, I live alone so with a bit of planning should be able to achieve it. Looking for a couple more challenges to try, if anyone has suggestions please let me know :)
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well done on savings so far ! I am aiming for £100 grocery budget a month too including cleaning / toiletries etc. I shop at Aldii and shopping for next weeks food, including clothes washing liquid, has come in at £25.01 so was really pleased with that :D
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Well done on savings so far ! I am aiming for £100 grocery budget a month too including cleaning / toiletries etc. I shop at Aldii and shopping for next weeks food, including clothes washing liquid, has come in at £25.01 so was really pleased with that :D

Sounds like we are in a similar position :) That's really good, well done. I'm doing a big shop at asda this week to top up the fridge and freezer then hopefully just topping up with milk/eggs/fruit/veg for the rest of the month.
  • Quick update, I've £44.33 out of the £100 I've set myself for groceries this month. That was on a big shop to restock the fridge and freezer, hoping to just buy fresh milk, fruit/veg, bread etc for the rest of the month and come in on/under target.

Its a friends birthday tonight and we are going to a strictly come dancing themed murder mystery show at a hotel. Luckily I paid for my ticket and a room in a cheaper nearby hotel months ago so don't need to worry about that. I already had an outfit to wear so I only need to pay for a few drinks and my taxi fare. Looking forward to it!
  • savingwannabe
    Well done on good food shop. A murder mystery sounds great. I hope it goes well and you discover who dunnit! lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport