Phone given to a six year old?

Options
Hi looking for some advice, my six year old (seven next week) has been given a IPhone (no sim) by her mother. I clearly disagree with this and always said she should not get one until she moves into senior school.

Her mother and me are divorced and do not get on but I totally disagree with this, should I send her mother a message saying my thoughts against this, guarantee it will cause more arguments and probably upset my daughter as well if she gets it taken away.

What would you do?

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think you're absolutely right to be concerned.
    Its inadvisable for children of that age to be given such expensive gadgets and there is a severe risk of her becoming addicted to screen use at an early age. I would also think there is a risk that her eyesight could be severely affected.

I wouldn't,t worry about your daughter getting upset about its removal. Who,s in charge here for goodness sake? It has always been down tomlarents to I lose a suitable discipline on their children. We're talking about a parent's responsibility for the well-being of a six year old who is in no mature state to decide what's beat for herself.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I don't see a problem with child having one as long as its use is monitored and limited, it also will enable her to facetime her mother which can only be a good thing surely
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have an iPad and iPhone at mine and her mother had the same at her house, there is no need for a six year old girl to have a iPhone, I’m not happy and I’m going to send a message saying so.
    She can use an iPad for FaceTime and I agree about the eyesight and how can she be monitored on a website all the time.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don!!!8217;t see the issue; as long as it!!!8217;s like anything else and controlled.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So with no sim card is it just used for apps/games?
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Noting you agreed with the person who agreed with you and ignored the other opinion....so not sure you really want views? It is ok to just want a rant...
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    Noting you agreed with the person who agreed with you and ignored the other opinion....so not sure you really want views? It is ok to just want a rant...

Just views from people who agree :)
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loz01 wrote: »
    So with no sim card is it just used for apps/games?

My eight year old has my old, sim free iPhone. She only has the apps and games that I've put on it for her and as it has fingerprint recognition she can only use it when I've unlocked it for her. She won't be getting a fully functioning phone until she goes to highschool as she has no need for one.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Options
    My first thought was this was a bad idea but then I thought again.

It's not the phone that's going to do your child any harm. It's about how it's used.

Actually, starting with no SIM so she can't make/take calls or accidentally access anything unsuitable is a good idea to get her started.

What she needs is limited time using it and supervision. She'll be going into Key Stage 2 in September. She needs to use IT skills.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What's the difference in functionality between a sim-free phone and a tablet in this case?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure