ADSL via another open reach line

Options
My ADSL broadband contract is due to expire near Christmas, it is with a well known supplier. The open reach line is with a completely separate nobody.

Is any body here aware of any one that offers their ADSL via any one's open reach line near £7 or 8 p.m.?

Can you imagine an accountant tossing his whole favourite charcolk suit....because the seat part of the trousers split

thanks
james

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have line rental with one company and broadband with another , SMPF (shared metallic path facility) and are looking to change the broadband provider only , to one that charges £8/month or less, you may have a long search, there are not many SMPF providers anymore, most want to sell you line rental and broadband together.
    Is there a reason why you need to keep your line rental with this ‘separate nobody’ company ?
  • james_smitha
    Options
    High 5 to you iniltous,

I like the phone line provider because their low prices don't change. One one occasion some thing was wrong I got the correct answer first time no mucking about. The issue was sorted in a matter of days.

The change the adsl provider, is more a safe guard in case the existing one tries to hike the price that I pay from new year on to much. Many increase phone & broadband prices to subsadise the sport & movie packages, or simply because their rivals increased their prices. Their rival jumped in front of a moving bus so we must too.

Thanks

James
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £18 is a typical low price for phone and asdl
  • james_smitha
    Options
    AndyPK

While yes that would be a good 'new customer' price from one supplier, as above I only need the ADSL. Then of course after the first year is gone, not being a new customer you get ripped off.

This is why only the ADSL part is of interest, as above where I use the suit comparison.

Have a good one
    James
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    To get the best value you will almost always need a line/broadband package from the same supplier, and be prepared to change supplier every year/18 months whenever the fixed term ends.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • james_smitha
    Options
    Owain Moneysaver
    Each to their own by all means
    The 'never heard of them' phone supplier I have is good, never rases prices.
    To my mind what you describe may work for some, but to my mind life is to short.

What you describe, on many occasions is to get paid the best you have to be willing to change employer rather than your existing employer match because they value your skills and experience
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Very much doubt if you will find any ISP doing broadband only deals for £7-8 pm - I certainly looked last June to see whether it was worth going back to the past, splitting rental from ADSL - couldn't get a low price WITHOUT bundling.
  • james_smitha
    Options
    brewerdave the truth is that I pay £7 p.m. at the moment.
    That I see with famous name Internet providers one puts the price of one or both parts then all the others like sheep soon after anounce simalair price rises.
    Most of the money is made on expensive fiber that I don't need just for me.

I did see that Talktalk could be an option but not at their prices.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    well stick with your great deal, and don't complain about a small rise over 20 years or whatever!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure