Microsoft Surface Pro 4 or Macbook Pro 13"

Options
gatita
gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I have an awful decision to make lol, I have to choose between one or the other! I have the feeling the MacBook is too "clever" for me! I just want it to surf the net, do emails play some games, no tricky office work etc.
I would really appreciate peoples opinions on which one I should choose, (or any other make).
Thank you
When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    [cynic mode on]
    Get a cheap android phone, it may even have the added bonus of being to make phone calls and sent text messages, act as an alarm clock/stopwatch. I also believe some of them may even vibrate in your wallet pocket before you feel the need to spend good money on frivolous things for emails and web browsing.. Now, bearing in mind that this is a moneysaving site, and this forum is not really a shopping site, but a technical help forum, have you anything that the good folks on here can help in a technical way

[/cynic mode off - (bing is your 10 best friends)]

:cool:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • gatita
    Options
    Well that wasn't a very nice answer............

This would be a present for my 75th Birthday, and as neither of us are very tech minded, we decided to ask for help in choosing, my husband wanted me to have something special.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2016 at 11:53PM
    Options
    Both very nice pieces of kit to be honest - I've had both a Surface Pro and MacBook Pro - personally I prefer the Macbook.

Why?

- Physical keyboard (Yes Surface has the 'type cover' but it's just not the same as a solid keyboard).

- OS X (with an initial adjustment period) is surprisingly easy to use and in most cases I actually prefer this to windows.

- Build quality on Apple kit is usually very high, Apple support can be very helpful and usually repairs can be done quickly (if needed) if you have a local Apple Store or Service Provider.

Note: you're comparing a tablet to a laptop - you need to ask yourself which you'd feel more comfortable with. Personally I don't mind tablets for messing about on the internet but I'd definitely prefer a laptop for daily use or when typing.

Touch screen tablets are great and all, but after a few hours I'm tired of poking the screen with my finger and/or fed up with some websites that seem impossible to navigate using a touch screen (looking at you Next).

Sometimes I just want to sit with a laptop on my knee and actually push buttons and move a mouse around - to me personally this feels more comfortable than holding something up with one hand and prodding it with the other.

Other options? Depending on how much you have to spend look into a Surface Book (It's sort of the Surface Pro 4 but in an actual laptop form rather than a tablet) - https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/devices/surface-book

The screen resolution on the Surface Book (3000 x 2000) must mean out of this world screen clarity - it even makes the Retina Macbook's 2560-by-1600 look shoddy.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    gatita wrote: »
    Well that wasn't a very nice answer............

This would be a present for my 75th Birthday, and as neither of us are very tech minded, we decided to ask for help in choosing, my husband wanted me to have something special.
    Sorry , but it was a gut reaction, nothing else to go on but they are both very expensive for what you need. My idea is for him to spend £350 ish on a laptop and and then spend the rest to take you out for a nice weekend/week together.I didn't mean to upset you but hey that is just me feeling they cost too much for your needs. I apologise for my cutting answer :o , but I hope you enjoy my alternative or even that someone else gives you a better one.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • gatita
    Options
    AJXX, Thank you SO much for your very detailed reply, I really appreciate the time it has taken you to reply, and I am much nearer in making a decision
  • gatita
    Options
    Debitcardmayhem,

Thank you for you nice reply!! I agree, they are disgustingly expensive!! but I assure you it will be definite one off!
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    (or any other make).
    Dell XPS perhaps? Although not sure it's as good as the other two, but maybe cheaper.

However it feels like you're spending a lot of money given its intended use - a bit like buying a Ferrari and only ever using it to drive down the road to the shops and back.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Debitcardmayhem,

Thank you for you nice reply!! I agree, they are disgustingly expensive!! but I assure you it will be definite one off!
    I hope not ,what is he going to buy for your 85th ...:beer:

A macbook will probably still be running (more than can be said for me)
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have a look HERE it gives a comparison of the two. Not that it's exactly comparing like for like as they are both different beasts.
    That said, it will probably be of more use than asking on a forum as people will rarely have experience of both and will usually favour whatever OS they happen to be using/like.
    They are both excellent machines and whichever you choose I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment. :)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What operating system do you currently use, and are you happy with it?

1. Use Mac, like it = buy Macbook
    2. Use Mac, don't like it = consider buying Surface
    3. Use Windows, like it = buy Surface
    4. Use Windows, don't like it = consider buying Macbook
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business