PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Options

Comments

• TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Land Registry, A small question for you. We are buying a house which the owner has lived in for 18 years. IN those years he has occupied a small extra section of land attached to the property. We believe it is unregistered land. It is fenced into the garden and he keeps it neat and tidy, and has previously kept goats on it. I don't believe he has ever grown or built anything on it. It is sandwiched in an awkward position between the neighbours house (they aren't interested in it), a chapel (they aren't in interested), and farm land (also not interested the farmer has replaced his side of the fence since taking possession). He has provided a statement of truth about the land as we were expecting to complete before the land could go through an adverse possession order (as heard it was taking months). How would we go about gaining possession once in the house? If he hadn't taken possession of the land it would just be waste land. As he didn't build or plant on it, will we have to start the 12 years again? Or is it likely to need a survey as I read previously on a different post? Any advice would be most welcome.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    Hi. .could land registry help .
    I have inherited a property from my father. Over the years the spelling of the property name has been interpreted in a number of different ways. The property is being registered for the first time. I have asked my solicitor to spell the property in the way I'd like it spelt, solicitor is saying because it's different to how its spelt on land registry site (although not registered) that land registry will not allow a change of spelling and that I have to request this possibly via the royal mail as land registry will also only recognise the spelling held by royal mail...I'm paying the solicitor to do this work for me, but have basically been told I have to sort this out or it will be registered with the spelling as it is...how can I rectify this...it is literally a single letter in the spelling that I want altering and not the actual name.
    TIA
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TamsinC wrote: »
    Hi Land Registry, A small question for you. We are buying a house which the owner has lived in for 18 years. IN those years he has occupied a small extra section of land attached to the property. We believe it is unregistered land. It is fenced into the garden and he keeps it neat and tidy, and has previously kept goats on it. I don't believe he has ever grown or built anything on it. It is sandwiched in an awkward position between the neighbours house (they aren't interested in it), a chapel (they aren't in interested), and farm land (also not interested the farmer has replaced his side of the fence since taking possession). He has provided a statement of truth about the land as we were expecting to complete before the land could go through an adverse possession order (as heard it was taking months). How would we go about gaining possession once in the house? If he hadn't taken possession of the land it would just be waste land. As he didn't build or plant on it, will we have to start the 12 years again? Or is it likely to need a survey as I read previously on a different post? Any advice would be most welcome.

Our PG5 covers most of your Qs

You don't start the 12 years again and we would survey the site providing the statement of truth was accepted. That's the key here as if that is not acceptable then you have a problem so you must rely on your conveyancer to advise as the law is very complex re such claims.

We do have a backlog of first registrations but can expedite the process if there is a confirmed buyer. It would still take at least 4/5 weeks and maybe a bit longer if we contacted the neighbour's fir example
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Hi. .could land registry help .
    I have inherited a property from my father. Over the years the spelling of the property name has been interpreted in a number of different ways. The property is being registered for the first time. I have asked my solicitor to spell the property in the way I'd like it spelt, solicitor is saying because it's different to how its spelt on land registry site (although not registered) that land registry will not allow a change of spelling and that I have to request this possibly via the royal mail as land registry will also only recognise the spelling held by royal mail...I'm paying the solicitor to do this work for me, but have basically been told I have to sort this out or it will be registered with the spelling as it is...how can I rectify this...it is literally a single letter in the spelling that I want altering and not the actual name.
    TIA

Postal addresses are managed by the Local Authority for electoral roll purposes. If you are changing what they have then you'll need them to make the change first.

They then notify Royal Mail and you can submit the LA's letter of confirmation to us with any application
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    Land registry, I can't thank you enough for your above advice, I contacted the local authority spoke to a lovely lady and it's all sorted. Thanks again
  • Hattride
    Options
    Hi

We are in the process of remortgaging to pay back parents who lent us money to buy quickly last year and the valuation has been instructed.
    I just realised there is a restricted convenant on the house - would this have already been checked as the underwriters have I think checked the land registry docs as they asked about charges on the house. Can anyone help?

I’m so worried the valuation will show the covenant and they won’t lend to us? Really want to pay back the money we owe.

Thanks
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Hattride wrote: »
    Hi

We are in the process of remortgaging to pay back parents who lent us money to buy quickly last year and the valuation has been instructed.
    I just realised there is a restricted convenant on the house - would this have already been checked as the underwriters have I think checked the land registry docs as they asked about charges on the house. Can anyone help?

I’m so worried the valuation will show the covenant and they won’t lend to us? Really want to pay back the money we owe.

Thanks

I'm afraid we aren't involved with the valuation process so can't really advise with any certaintY

They may look at the title to confirm extent fir example but whether they go so far as checking the covenants we would not know. You'd have to ask them.

And a restrictive covenant that affects the valuation would have to be very restrictive so may be worth researching whether it has the impact you seem to think it does
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unable to purchase a Title and Plan.

As I've not used my account for 12 months, it was cancelled, so I created a new one, verified it by email, and logged in.

Still unable to make a purchase as I don't have the 'appropriate security access'?????

Message says to contact my 'system administrator', but nowhere on the website are there contact details for this!
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Unable to purchase a Title and Plan.

As I've not used my account for 12 months, it was cancelled, so I created a new one, verified it by email, and logged in.

Still unable to make a purchase as I don't have the 'appropriate security access'?????

Message says to contact my 'system administrator', but nowhere on the website are there contact details for this!

G_M - we did have some issues with the online services over the weekend but I assume this was yesterday just before you posted?
    Can you email the support team for the service please at findaproperty@landregistry.gov.uk and include a screenshot of the message being received please. They can take a look and email you
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    G_M - we did have some issues with the online services over the weekend but I assume this was yesterday just before you posted?
    Can you email the support team for the service please at [EMAIL="findaproperty@landregistry.gov.uk"]findaproperty@landregistry.gov.uk[/EMAIL] and include a screenshot of the message being received please. They can take a look and email you
    Thanks. Will do.

Can I suggest you ask the IT guys or whoever to add that contact info to the website somewhere.......?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback