Help! My phone's not charging properly.

Options
My Lumia 435 has worked and charged fine...until the other day. I plugged in the charger (charge showing as 5%)…, went back an hour or so later, expecting it to be 100% and it was 11%. Two hours later it was saying 9% despite having been charging all that time. I pulled out the charger and it then said 8%. I haven't been able to charge it past 43% since then. I noticed the date had changed to 4th Jan 2015 and the time was wrong too. I reset these but no improvement.
Has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My Lumia 435 has worked and charged fine...until the other day. I plugged in the charger (charge showing as 5%)…, went back an hour or so later, expecting it to be 100% and it was 11%. Two hours later it was saying 9% despite having been charging all that time. I pulled out the charger and it then said 8%. I haven't been able to charge it past 43% since then. I noticed the date had changed to 4th Jan 2015 and the time was wrong too. I reset these but no improvement.
    Has anyone got any ideas?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Could the charging cable be damaged? Do you have another cable you could try?
  • MarmaladeMamma
    Options
    Sounds to me like you could do with a new wire. Do you have the kind of charger with a USB port and separate wire? If your phone is a few years old the battery may be losing its ability to hold charge - if a new micro USB wire doesn't do the trick then perhaps look for a new battery online. If you can't find a genuine replacement, duracell do some phone batteries I can recommend them if you can find one that matchesuits your phone. My phone was doing the same and the duracell replacement breathed new life into it! Avoid cheaper Chinese generic replacements I tried one and it was steaming hot within minutes - not good. Good luck with the phone!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    End of life battery .
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    See identical post
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Probably the battery as above but do check that the port on the phone isn't full of fluff. Use a pin and carefully clean it out.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Threads merged.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Reboot phone and try again.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • ouraggie
    Options
    Thanks, everyone,,, for suggestions thus far.
    To update,, the charger is not the issue as it charges another phone and a tablet with no problems.
    I've cleaned the charging hole but no improvement.
    I tried rebooting (??held down volume and power at same time ??) but no joy.
    I suspect it may need a new battery. Can anyone advise as to where I would buy one?
    Btw, it won't even switch on now! 😢
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Look at the old battery. It should have a model number. Google it. Check out the supplier carefully.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure