SD Card Free recovery tool/app

Options
Gloucester85
Gloucester85 Posts: 22 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 February 2019 at 9:46AM in Techie Stuff
Somehow I seem to have accidently delete all the music from my SD card. I believe there are several free recovery tools/apps. Which is the best to use to see if I can recover the music before I have to start downloading all the music again.. My error almost certainly emanated when trying to sort my music into some kind of order on MP3Tag. As it was working fine before I went into the MP3Tag site.Obviously I pressed the wrong "Button" somewhere when trying to make the changes which caused the deletion of all my music.I have checked My Recycle Bin in case but there is nothing in it.

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    I have used Testdisk/Photorec to recover perhaps https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Gloucester85
    Options
    I have downloaded the above under windows 64bit the above and it just appears in my file manager with 20 plus options. what I have done incorrectly please.
  • ZakkyCole
    Options
    I experienced the same problem last week when I tried to sort my music into artists alphabetical order on MP3Tag. I did try the Testdisk download suggested in Post 2 but I had the same issue as in Post 3 so I gave up and did not try anything else. Stupid. Unfortunately I then started downloading the music again which apparently meant it was too late to start anty recovery programme. Just in case is there an alternative recovery programme apart from the one mentioned that is more straightforward please
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Recuva ?
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Yeah well Testdisk is not GUI based so it can be a bit daunting eg https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk:_undelete_file_for_FAT

But as DoaM suggests recuva is a simpler method https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2019 at 11:30AM
    Options
    If you connect the SD card to the PC now, and browse it both with Windows File Explorer, AND with mp3tag, what result do you get?

What leads you to the conclusion that it is "deleted"? Browsing through the app on the mobile device that uses the card? Have you maybe blanked out some tags in mp3tag which lead the mobile app to think there's nothing there? If so, you just need to go back into mp3tag and do some editing.

I really don't think you will have deleted the files altogether. In order to do that you would have had to have selected all files, then right-clicked and specifically hit the Delete option, or picked Delete from the Edit menu. Hitting Del simply removes a file from the list, without deleting it
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2019 at 8:43PM
    Options
    There seems to be an epidemic of 'users' recently having almost identical problems with MP3 files and SD cards??

Firstly they all seemed to have problems with 'downloading' MP3s from 'U Tube', then when the utility MP3Tag was suggested to one, they now all seem to have problems with losing their MP3 files after using it.

Something in the water you think??

Not that I'm complaining you understand; because these are the sort of simple questions I can answer. :D
    But just seems strange to have so many users (with low post counts) with very similar problems.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    emptybox wrote: »
    There seems to be an epidemic of 'users' recently having almost identical problems with MP3 files and SD cards??

Firstly they all seemed to have problems with 'downloading' MP3s from 'U Tube', then when the utility MP3Tag was suggested to one, they now all seem to have problems with losing their MP3 files after using it.

Something in the water you think??

Not that I'm complaining you understand; because these are the sort of simple questions I can answer. :D
    But just seems strange to have so many users (with low post counts) with very similar problems.
    I love conspiracy theories, but I don't believe in crystal balls, but the "users" don't seem to want to use diagnostic tools that don't fit the Windows GUI ethos, since they appear not to go with available instructions. Perhaps the use of GUI tools they don't understand is part of the problem, I doubt it's a question of SEO spamming ,since mp3tag is freeware I honestly don't know.
  • GreatExpectations
    GreatExpectations Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2019 at 10:37AM
    Options
    If The SD card is not connecting to a drive when inserting it into a USB port how exactly should downloading say recuva work. How will it pick up my SD card.Once downloaded what is the next step please .How will I be able to tell whether my SD has connected to Recuva. I am sorry to ask, but I am entirely ignorant in these matters, so what may appear to be simple to the more experienced user I do not come anywhere near that category.
  • BH246
    BH246 Posts: 68 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2019 at 10:22PM
    Options
    I fully agree .The question here is how to identify if an SD card is faulty or corrupt. If it has been wiped clean and therefore naturally it will show up on a tablet with nothing in it. So how can you possibly download anything onto it if your PC shows through the USB port and the respective drive requesting you to insert a card which it won't accept. I think all the signs are that the SD card is faulty but how to prove it. Many SD cards carry a guarantee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure