PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Student House Hell - Need Advice

Options

Comments

• babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think this thread has moved on from the OP.

If the door has broke and LL won't fix it after going through proper channels then fix it deduct amount from rent..make sure you have gone through the proper channels though

Damp if not evident on viewing to the extent you say must be a life style problem .. read up on how to de humidify rooms .. I would say drying washing on rads and showers without ventilation

If after all this then still not a happy bunny give ones notice and move to a better student/private let

Living in Oxford where even student rents are huge my daughter was paying a massive amount of rent albeit working full time and studying .. the LL didn't commit any faux pas but did sail in the wind a few times.

To air on the LL's side they are not to know what students they have in and basically if you are a good tenant the LL will reciprocate in most cases
    Either repair, deduct and get on or whinge and move on and make sure they look a little more into it than "how wonderful , we have our independence " in the next let

LL and tenants are a 2 way street .. if as some complained about a LL lining his own pockets then try being one for a month.. I was predominantly multi let commercial for many years and quite honestly it would have been easier taking care of a class of pre school children , they would have had more common sense.

It's not about X amount of rent they are getting, look into what they have to do.. not forgetting financial risk buying the property in the first place.

Yes there are rogue LL's but just as many rogue tenants
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Condensation and mould are not a lifestyle issue. It is a problem with the fabric of the building.

Most people can live perfectly well without being told that a problem is theirs because they do things like breathing and washing. We all do that, but we don't all have problems. It is always about how the house is able to react to usual demands. If it is cold and lacking ventilation and insulation then it's going to be a struggle. It isn't simply about opening windows and holding your breath.

To suggest that it didn't exist if it wasn't visible before the OP moved in is to suggest that a landlord has never painted over mould between tenants!

OP, local authorities do have private tenancy officers that can examine the house and put pressure on the landlord to make necessary changes if there are unacceptable elements.

As it stands, I guess you're much of the way through this year now. It would be a good idea to look early for a house with a decent landlord for next academic year. It would be an idea to get some feedback from the present tenants rather than leaving it to chance.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    Do not, under any circumstances, deduct costs from your rent !!!!!
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    My daughters landlord at uni is fab. They fix what they should and very quickly. They are getting loads of money for student lets and have a duty to act professionally.

Babyblade - can you clarify, was your daughter one of 3/4/5 who were paying student rent or did she have the luxury of her own place?
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Use the front inside door handle to engage the deadbolts, then use the back door to come and go. You haven't said there is a problem with that door.........................
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • MalcRH12
    Options
    It sounds like the landlord doesn't really care about anything other than the money. Mould ridden properties are not acceptable and there are things that can and should be done to fix the issue. It is a health hazard and can lead to respiratory problems such as Asthma. I would move out as soon as practically possible because your health is worth more. With regards to getting the landlord to fix the issues, you are rubbing on an empty lamp.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    I'm not sure why any student should expect any less than private working tenants. They are paying more between them than families. It's a rip off most of the time anyway. It's not "how it is" any more than being discriminated against.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    parkrunner wrote: »
    Use the front inside door handle to engage the deadbolts, then use the back door to come and go. You haven't said there is a problem with that door.........................

So long as it's only temporary. Even students are entitled to a front door.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure why any student should expect any less than private working tenants. They are paying more between them than families. It's a rip off most of the time anyway. It's not "how it is" any more than being discriminated against.

But the vast majority of discrimination is perfectly legal.

In this case students put up with worse conditions because LLs generally don't want to rent to students; so you tend to have a smaller pool to choose from.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    But the vast majority of discrimination is perfectly legal.

In this case students put up with worse conditions because LLs generally don't want to rent to students; so you tend to have a smaller pool to choose from.

I disagree. Landlords in heavily populated student areas expect to let to students. Then run their tenancies August to August, they plan maintenance for student holidays, they sign students up Dec-Jan etc
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure