Claiming compensation for potentially dangerous electricity in my flat.

(Mods, Please put this in the appropriate section)

I have had serious electrical issue sin my flat for the last year.

I have lights flicker rapidly, fans turn off, plugs sparking etc.

The landlord has sent EDF and UK power over FIVE times to fix this issue and it keeps coming back.

This has not only caused me a lot of stress, but it has broken over $1500 worth of Computer equipment and other things like m air conditioner broke. Last night my expensive monitor broke.

I've had enough and wan't to claim compensation from EDF for both he stress and broken equipment. They provided an inadequate service. I have been told by numerous professions that this is a dangerous situation.

I don't know the best way to proceed with this, anyone here know my rights and what I need to do?

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why are we dealing in dollars in the UK?

You can claim if you can prove the broken equipment was caused by the power. You can’t claim for stress. Why haven’t you moved out?
  • Because my Ducky keyboard is the from the US!

Because it's expensive to move and I'm not well currently.

What's my first move?
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's not clear what the actual issue is, do you know?

You can't claim for it being stressful or potentially dangerous although in theory you could claim for equipment that is damaged.

That said who are you going to claim from?

EDF will supply electricity to the property, but I assume the equipment and cabling is the landlord's, but you would have to prove some negligence.

If the landlord keeps trying to get it fixed, and is told it is fixed until such times as something goes wrong again, I'm not sure you would have much luck claiming from them.

You should also try to mitigate your loss, so if you have expensive equipment you should use surge protectors or not use them in certain sockets.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You need to speak to your landlord. He should pay to rehouse you temporarily if the house is dangerous to inhabit.

Make a list of things that have broken as a result of the electrical problems, provide receipts, photos, etc. and claim from the electricity supplier for your genuine losses. That doesn't include stress.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds more like a wiring issue rather than supply issue but i'm no sparky.

If its wiring then you'd be looking to your landlord. If your landlord is smart, they'll have periodic inspection reports. Doesn't mean they're screwed if they haven't. Just that it will be a lot harder for you to prove negligence if they have those.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Johndole25 wrote: »
    Because my Ducky keyboard is the from the US!

Because it's expensive to move and I'm not well currently.

What's my first move?

Is your other equipment also from the US ? I believe that US electrical is designed for 220v and 60Hz - whereas UK is 230v and 50Hz. That may be the root cause .
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Johndole25 wrote: »
    Because my Ducky keyboard is the from the US!

If you hold down the "Alt" button and using the numberpad, type in 0163 (with the ALT button depressed), you should be able to get a £ symbol.
  • No, but multiple online electricians have told me the issue is dangerous.

I am just going to claim compensation foe the equipment as I don't want too much drama surrounding this as I already have stress.

What would your plan be?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Get a proper electrician in. An online electrician is not much help.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Is your other equipment also from the US ? I believe that US electrical is designed for 220v and 60Hz - whereas UK is 230v and 50Hz. That may be the root cause .
    No, that would be 115v and 60Hz.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport