Claiming compensation for potentially dangerous electricity in my flat.

Options
13»

Comments

• Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OP

You need to find out what the cause of the problem is before you can determine the most appropriate course of action including whether you may be due compensation for damaged equipment.

If the landlord is keeping the reuslts of previous tests from you, then the most appropriate solution would be for you to have a qualified electrician carry out an inspection for you and provide a suitable test report. I would expect this to be in the order of £400-600 plus VAT.

There is no point in you speaking to "online electricians" or the like. An inspection, including tests, of your electrical syste is required before any competent diagnosis can be given.

That said, there are duties on your landlord however I suspect they will not be particularly helpful for you:

https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/responsibilities/electrical_inspections.shtml[/QUOTE
    I think your estimate that an inspection costs £600 +VAT is way too high
    I had a consumer unit fitted and full testing done for my buy to let and it cost less than that
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Johndole25 wrote: »
    Because my Ducky keyboard is the from the US!

ALT 0163 using a numeric keypad = £

(I know, because I also have a "ducky" [whatever that is] US keyboard)
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Johndole25 wrote: »
    You quote me and then say that is my only move, when I said that's not doable.

I never said it was the landlords fault, I said I want to claim compensation from the electrical company for damaged goods.

What if your landlord decided to sell up? You can't insist on living there until you die.

I know moving is expensive and a pain in the rear but so is having your equipment getting bricked with some frequency.

Maybe ask family/friends if they can help you out in moving.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Did you ask EDF to install a device to monitor the voltage and/or get a UPS to run your computers off as suggested in the thread last November?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6066938
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You might want to consider investing in a couple of surge protectors to protect your equipment.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You might want to consider investing in a couple of surge protectors to protect your equipment.
    Or even a £60 UPS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport