Dating with no money?

Options

Comments

• bytheseas
    bytheseas Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2018 at 11:07AM
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I went ahead and asked if we could do something other than a meal as funds are a little tight. I was unmatched on tinder and blocked on facebook. So, yeah. Maybe she's the one?

Some good suggestions and I agree all of those sound super fun, exactly the sort of things I would love to do for a date. The issue was that she asked to go out for food, after I had already suggested some cheaper/free alternatives.

Good call to look for people with similar interests. That will certainly be on the tick box for future matches haha.

Splitting the bill? I know it's 2018 and all that and I have been out of the dating game for 6 years. But does this really happen? I honestly can't recall a moment in my life where a woman has ever offered to split the bill or pay. Certainly not in the first few dates anyway. I'm only 31 too, it's not like I'm in the woman at home man at work generation haha.
    Mortgage: £60,744.22 Student Loans:£16,726.59
    Joining Debt (08/04/2018) : £90,283.01 Current Debt: £77,470.81

Goal: Debt free by 2033
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Goodness, I was last dating as a teenager over 40 years ago (long married now), and fully expected to go halves on the bill way back then. I had a job, why on earth would I have expected a guy to have to pay my share?

Good luck with finding someone genuine :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sounds like you had a lucky escape there.

The right one will come along for you.

How good would it be if there was a DFW dating site :p

Least we would all be on the same wave length!

Dxxx
  • a_silver_lining
    Options
    I think a coffee is the way to go for a first date. If it goes well, maybe stay an hour longer and split a slice of cake?

My first date with my partner (met online) was coffee. It turned into a 5 plus hour date as we then went for a walk round free museums, then decided to grab a meal (cheap £5 per person type thing, I would have said I wasn't hungry if they had suggested more) and then a drink at a bar as we really were getting on at that point.

Second date was dinner cooked at hers. Third I think may have been a meal out, I can't really remember!
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

How good would it be if there was a DFW dating site :p

I expect Martin is working on this as we speak.

Make sure you exercise your intellectual property rights...

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Sorry, couldn't read and run :o
    I'm a single ( mature ?:rotfl:) male who is happily single. Having food allergies has made relationships difficult . Anyway forget that .

I am on Facebook , but only look at it once or twice a year.
    TBH, I don't understand this antisocial media stuff. If I were to be in a relationship with someone , I don't know if I could trust someone as they could be talking to every Tom, William and Harry and I'd be none the wiser.
    Some of those dating apps seem dodgy also . When I was working in my last company, a really nice guy who is a d j started showing me pictures of women you rated. It just seemed wrong .

I did join a couple of dating sites a few years back . They were online
    Looking at what most of these women liked to do as hobbies: paragliding / deep sea diving / restaurants / flying etc. Wow! They must be loaded and out of my league before I start I thought.
    One of my friends told me that these types are gold diggers and have many credit cards etc. Annoying really ,as when you fill the forms in with your requirements with honesty and integrity you get that.

If I were to date again, it would be a coffee shop. If I have to meet someone in the evenings it would be in a neutral bar safe and hopefully enjoyable for both parties.

Anyway good luck in your search :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I expect Martin is working on this as we speak.

Make sure you exercise your intellectual property rights...

Dennis
    @natdebtline

Oooh :money:

Come on Martin - I could be a partner in this!!

Imagine, I would actually love that :p

Dxxx
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    I'm the same age as you OP and always expected to pay my half (I'm a girl by the way!). I had a few unexpected expensive dates with men that earned 5-6 times more than me, and I should have said something really as I was paying off my credit cards (first time round) then and it hampered my progress. I met my husband on the same site as said blokes, and I did have a few spendier dates with him. Nothing grand, but more than a tea or an ice cream, generally rounds in the pub (which add up, as we know!). I did come clean that I was living on a budget after a month or so and he was very good about it, I realised I could have been more up front all along.

Fast forward and we're married, bought a house together, due our first baby and I've smashed my debts (he never had any, turned out he was a good influence on me too!). It can work out - with the right person. Someone who "un-matches" you because you don't want to go for a full dinner before you've met them is not the right person, but you know that :) Good luck to you
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm similar age to you and was dating using tinder I always offered to go halves when going for food (why should he pay for me) most of the men I dated insisted on paying but if we had a date after that I'd pay next time.

I have to tell you when dating my current partner I offered to pay half when we went for dinner and he was the only man who let me (he's the one I ended up in a relationship with not the ones that insisted)

Also if the lady who you were talking to cut ties when you told her that then that's her choice it's not for us to judge her for it but it's for you to realise ok maybe not Miss right for you and that's ok.

From now on when you ask someone on a first date suggest coffee or a drink, if they come back with food rather than saying money's tight (I'm not saying lie but you don't need to tell every person you chat to your personal circumstances) I'd just say well let's have a drink for our first date and see where it goes from there. I couldn't think of anything worse than going on a first date for a meal and not liking that person but being stuck with them till the end lol.
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would be far too nervous to eat a meal on a first date. A coffee would be just fine for me.

One of my most Romantic first dates was a walk in a park but that was years ago. I married him dear reader.:rotfl:

Museums, art galleries, mooching round craft fairs, strolls along a beach or a nice park all free. Add in a coffee or ice cream and it won’t. Break the bank. In really nice weather what could be nicer than taking a picnic, it can be very romantic (with the right ierson). Just make the food sexy (no boring soggy egg sandwiches). Maybe a bottle of fizz if you can afford it. Cava is gorgeous and about £5 a bottle.

Take a look round your nearest city or town and see what’s available. Check the what’s on guides. You might be surprised at just how much free or cheap stuff there is. Cities are often great for free stuff.

Don’t forget groupon deals. Posh afternoon tea can be surprisingly cheap.

Meals out are nice of course they are but not very imaginative or exciting. And they can actually be quite nerve wracking on a first date. . Better to go for a coffee or a drink for the first meeting just to break the ice and see if you actually want to see each other again.

After that try and do something a bit more memorable than just stuffing your faces. Dare to be different.

Do you have a river or lake where you can hire a rowing boat. How romantic is that......

One of my most memorable dates was visiting a church where we did some brass rubbings (sounds rude doesn't it but I assure you it was all very innocent. :rotfl:). Then we spent a happy half hour walking round the grave yard in the pouring rain. Sharing an umbrella is a perfect excuse to get up close and personal.....;)

It’s all about being different, using your imagination to have a memorable date. After all you don’t want to be like all the other guys....you want to stand out from the crowd.

Any fool can splash money around to try and impress but It shows very little thought or imagination.

Wow her by being different to all the other guys. Show your fun side.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure