PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great ‘how to use up old booze’ hunt

Options

Comments

• valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'll hold my hand up here...I'm constantly chucking out wine. When my SIL died five years ago we inherited her copious booze cupboard which contained everything from five years out of date cases of lager through dozens of half empty bottles of "holiday bad buy" liqueurs to some very good wines, good malt whisky and gawd knows what else. There was so much of this stuff we were giving out half cases of wine to just about anyone that came over the threshold. And I distinctly recall spending half an hour one day tipping all the crusty, sticky, brightly coloured liqueurs down the sink.

Five years on we've almost got to the end of the wine. (Only about 40 bottles left.) Trouble is most of the time I've got little idea what I'm opening, other than red, white or rose. She had posh wine, she had cheap wine. Cheap wine five years on is garbage, belive me. If I open a bottle for the bolognaise and it's good, we drink the rest. If not we chuck it. Yes, chuck it. With so much left we feel there's not much point in forcing ourselves to drink nasty stuff!

We have enough port and malt whisky left to last us to the end of our days. Actually, I quite like port but it's not something I drink every day. Our main problem is that Hubby is a real beer man and I barely drink at all. While SIL...well, she was a single mum. What the heck did she need an understair cupboard FULL of booze for?
    Val.
  • spend_thrift
    Options
    Oooh this looks like a good way to use up that rose - I even have some blueberries stashed in the freezer...

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2821/blueberries+in+rose+wine+jelly

(Copy & paste link into your browser - I can't post live links yet since I'm a noob ;)
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    You can use spirits in cake making. It makes excellent flavouring if you use it to soak the dried fruit. Quite useful if you don't drink but are given some for a present as we sometimes have been.
  • horsechestnut
    Options
    I never buy wine, but if visitors bring some to go with a meal and there is any wine left, then I freeze it in little tubs and add it to sauces/stews etc. You can add it frozen and it will melt in the hot pan.
    Chicken in a Champagne sauce is wonderful! The better the wine then then better the sauce.
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JackieO you can poach apples in it, it should be ok. Chardonnay will be nice with apples. You could always use it in a white wine and cream sauce for chicken or put it into a gravy.
    I make lavender wine and roast peaches and nectarines in it, think I'll try with apples next time.
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    If you buy a red wine and then find out you don't like it, chuck a glass of it in with the sauce when you make spaghetti bolognese or lasagne.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    If you buy a red wine and then find out you don't like it
    do what I do and carry on drinking it:rotfl:I do realise not everyone is an old soak like me:o
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The rose is left over from when a friend came round a couple of weeks ago. It's more her taste than mine, and there's about a 1/3 of a bottle left, so quite a lot to drink on my own and not quite enough to share... :rolleyes:

I suppose the urgency with the rose is to have it before it goes flat (probably too late already!) and to find a use for it so I can recycle the bottle and get it off my worktop where space is at a premium!

Last Christmas my dad used up some unwanted sparkling rose wine in a chicken risotto - it was really tasty (if a bit pink-looking), and I don't even like rose wine.

Like minerva_windsong I love red wine in lasagne / bolognese sauce, although the wine has got to be pretty terrible to stop me drinking at least a glass of it while cooking! :o White wine's good in creamy sauces - one of my favourites is chicken or turkey with mushrooms in a white wine and tarragon sauce. It tastes surprisingly sophisticated for something that takes 5 minutes to throw together. :)
  • fedupfreda
    Options
    Left over wine???? Never had it......:o

On the other hand, left over cider or beer goes lovely in stews (cider for pork or chicken, beer with beef). Left over port goes well with game stews.

Left over liqueurs - make chocolate truffles (with Amaretto or Grand Marnier - lovely!) or maybe pour a little over trifle sponges. Most spirits make good fruit cake ingredients - esp. for christmas cake - soak the fruit in booze for a few days beforehand. Or you can add a little spirit or liqueur to custard to make a boozy custard (the operative word here is 'little'.... too much is definitely too much..._pale_) Failing that some spirits can be added to jams or marmalades as they are cooking - specifically whisky or Grand Marnier/Cointreau to marmalade, Vodka or Gin to strawberry or raspberry jam, Brandy or Bacardi to blackberry or plum jam.
    SMILE....they will wonder what you are up to...........;)
  • _Layla_
    _Layla_ Posts: 356 Forumite
    Options
    valk_scot wrote: »
    While SIL...well, she was a single mum. What the heck did she need an understair cupboard FULL of booze for?

I think you just answered your own question there!:rotfl:

(No disrespect intended, fellow posters. I am a single mum too!)
    Cheer up. The worst is yet to come - Mark Twain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport