Earthgirl's Final Battle

Options

Comments

• Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yay, well done Earthie! I work Saturday at that time too so we can give eachother virtual moral support!

Re you in 2008, don't forget that was pre kids. I was also very focused around that time but finding the balance of working towards the future and being what your young children need right now is not easy. I think you're managing it much better than me.
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for commenting. Peach hair is different! Yes its an early start but thats why it suits me, a couple of hours work before the boys need me.

Ive been reflecting on how things have changed to ten years ago, and the most obvious one is the fact that my time is not really my own, although it is getting better, I still have to stop what I am doing to look after the kids. Hence my interruption yesterday when posting my list!

My relationship with oh is better, not so with my mum, although that is a bit up and down. Also I used to wotk so hard at school. I think I can take a few lessons from my former self!

So I’m determined to pay off this mortgage and travel again at Christmas.

Things to prepare for that might stop me:
    Lots of meals out coming up - 1 for mil, 1 for mothers day. I will get oh to pay for these.
    Need to organise presents from store/home made for mil birthday, fil birthday, something little for two sil.
    Boys need mouldedcstuds boots :( - get off Ebay?

Saving money
    Reduce electricity usage (smart meter?)
    Keep improving petrol usage
    Improve grocery bill (£40/week currently, but could reduce with more veggie meals)
    Plant veg and flower seeds for best ever garden year I hope!

Upping income
    Work on ohs business 1 hour per day (weekdays)
    promote tutoring
    rent room out longer term
    Set up dog sitting
    More Ebaying

Life
    Exercise 5 times a week
    Healthy diet
    Free date with oh once per week (this can just be a quick sandwich together) ms booked for Valentines Day.

Remember every penny counts!

Today I am going to:
    Post Ebay sale
    Check tyre pressure
    Look for football boots on Ebay.
    Drive home
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Morning Earthgirl, check out Sp0rts direct or M&M direct for cheap footie boots you can often pick them up for around £10 a pair in the sale for kids sizes. Can often work out cheaper than ebay if your buying more than 1 item as your only paying 1 lot of postage and sp0rts direct you can collect from store.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    Well done EG :D

While looking back 10 years ago don't just see the 'negative' side of how things compare too now look how much you've achieved! You're a wonderful mum to the boys and you work hard to get how far you are today.

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Have you gone off airbnb?

It's very quiet for me since Nov.
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks yes I know I!!!8217;m not just looking at the negatives in comparison to now, it!!!8217;s good being closer to OH and of course my children are just the love of my life.

Airbnb very quiet. I think there is a lot more competition. We had s longer term lodger and it was great so I!!!8217;m looking into that again.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    We had someone wanting to look at the room, so we said she could, then realised she wasn't even properly registered so wouldn't be able to book anyway.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Children's activities can be quite expensive, can't they? I've had a chat with Mrs E about some of the things that she wants DD to try and while I'm supportive of anything that she enjoys and provides exercise, Mrs E doesn't quite seem to appreciate how a low weekly cost translates into high total costs. £5 might seem reasonable for dancing (for example), but there's a registration fee, uniform, driving to and fro...
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Children's activities can be quite expensive, can't they? I've had a chat with Mrs E about some of the things that she wants DD to try and while I'm supportive of anything that she enjoys and provides exercise, Mrs E doesn't quite seem to appreciate how a low weekly cost translates into high total costs. £5 might seem reasonable for dancing (for example), but there's a registration fee, uniform, driving to and fro...

Agreed :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yes ed I agree. Judo went up to 4.60 per lesson each plus kit plus grading fees. They didn!!!8217;t enjoy donit was axed. At least the football they love, make friends and get exercise.

Got both football boots off Ebay in the end And managed to get them for £10 and £7. Thanks for the tips for the shops but they wanted specific ones and it!!!8217;s better to get them ones they!!!8217;ll wear and love, especially if they are only £7!!

Had a lovely valentines meal as a mystery shop with oh, total cost me £5 and it was really good.

Awful situation at work and still not quite sorted, very stressful, not sure what I can post here so I!!!8217;ll just say I was very upset but have evidence that I am in the right. Again. Will have to collate all this evidence and get hold of local union reps number for next week.

Also fell out with my mum, we don!!!8217;t always agree about my children!!!8217;s behaviour.

I!!!8217;m strong enough to deal with it all even though sometimes I don!!!8217;t feel that way.

Going to do a big brain dump and categorise into lists and get going!
    Myweekrnd job doesn!!!8217;t start till next weekend so I can get plenty done this weekend.

Progress not Perfection
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure