Where can a get a bank draft in Hong Kong Dollars?

Options

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps during the 90 days' stay in HK that your UK passport entitles you to, you can obtain the bank draft from a HK bank and apply for any longer visa you need while there..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    No reply as of yet. I'm in a hurry, I deliberately left it late so I could earn as much as possible before leaving my job to travel. I thought it would be a simple enough thing for any bank to do

Leaving your job to travel in Hong Kong for more than one hundred and eighty(180) days? Thanks for your politeness, but it's sounds a likely story. I get bored there after three days.
    Anyway, the Halifax is owned by Lloyds and Lloyds have a presence on Hong Kong.

https://www.lloydsbank.com.hk

You have to go through your own bank. So that would be Halifax/Lloyds in your case. But unlikely they will issue it for HK$ from the UK. So you will be asking them to produce a Bank Draft from the HK branch. How will you collect it?

Polite indeed. You are asking for help here, so you should remember your place. We are being polite for even helping you. Your supplying relevant information to your request for information, however outlandish, does not make you polite.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    2.png
    3.png

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/visit-transit/visit-visa-entry-permit.html#notes

In addition, to your tall story so far, you claimed
    I'd happily pay 4X that if they'd just accept the money and other way!

Since the fee via the Chinese Visa Application Service Center is £89, that is certainly less than 4 x.£25

https://bio.visaforchina.org/LON2_EN/generalinformation/news/283388.shtml

Not nice to waste our time.
  • comment_as...
    Options
    Wow. Not even sure what I'm being accused of here. Why would I pretend to be going to HK and why do you need my life story to comment on what bank does what service? I think something's been lost in translation here. Sorry to have upset you guys
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Wow. Not even sure what I'm being accused of here. Why would I pretend to be going to HK and why do you need my life story to comment on what bank does what service? I think something's been lost in translation here. Sorry to have upset you guys

It's already been explained as to why we needed to know which passport you held and with whom you banked.

Since we have explained our reasons to you, perhaps you can explain to us why you need a visa, if British passport holders get 180 days visa free.

It looks as if you are just wasting our time.
  • comment_as...
    Options
    I need a visa in order to be allowed to work. I still don't understand why you need to know. Suppose it wasn't for a visa at all, maybe I wanted to import something say. Would that change which bank I should go to?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think the suggestion is to go to HK as you can being a British passport holder and then get a HK bank to issue a draft in HK $.

Seems reasonable to me, whatever your reasons ....
  • comment_as...
    Options
    I'd rather not because I'm up against an age limit. If I apply from here, I have 3 months from when I apply until I have to enter HK so I can save up more. If I apply from there I'd have to leave nowish in order to be under 31 at the time of the application
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    I need a visa in order to be allowed to work. I still don't understand why you need to know. Suppose it wasn't for a visa at all, maybe I wanted to import something say. Would that change which bank I should go to?

In order to apply for a work visa from here, you must have an offer of employment. Therefore an employer willing to sponsor you and therefore the ability to obtain a bank draft on your behalf.
    So how do you hope to get a work visa anyway?
    If this is not the case, you can enter without a visa and then obtain a work visa whilst you are there.
    I don't know anything about you needing to be under thirty one. Under which program would that be?

https://www.internations.org/go/moving-to-hong-kong/visas-work-permits
  • comment_as...
    Options
    To clarify, I'm asking about bank drafts not visas. I happen to be planning to spend the draft on a visa. I could have an Iraqi passport and be planning to spend it in novelty socks. The answer would be the same
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure