New kitten....questions & advice (merged)

Options

Comments

• dawnfuller
    Options
    Pets at home do a Kitten package. The vets inside them its called Companion Care
    http://www.companioncare.co.uk/

Think its about £100.00 per kitty for jabs + Spaying castration. + Free microchip.

A good price
    :p
  • snowman2_2
    Options
    For cats that stay indoor they need cat flu and enteritis vaccinations. Cats that go outside are best vaccinated against leukaemia as well. 98% ish of all our kittens get the leukaemia as they are likely to go outside. Some practices offer chlamydia as well but that depends on local conditions.
    Spaying is usually done at 6 months old.
  • windra
    windra Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Ive had 2 kittens in the last 5 months, and got one only 3 days ago. The first one we let straight out with our older cat, they were hissing and scrapping for a few days but after about a week they were getting along nicely.

I did the same with the new kitten a few days ago, the two older cats hid from it (it was a male and other 2 are female)for the whole day but now they sit beside him, but do hiss if he starts jumping about.

I think vets recomend you keep them seperated for 1 week, but mine seem to have worked their diferences out fine.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When we moved in with my Stepdad many years ago now he had three tomcats aged 7,8 & 9 & we had an 8yr old tom cat! We just let them all out together & they sorted things out themselves. Mine & the 9yr old had the odd tussle but nothing serious & in the end they were never close but tolerated each other.

I personally prefer to let them get on with it under supervision & with safe places each cat can retreat to, I think a week + of smelling another cat etc can stress them & make them anxious as to where it is. But every cat is different & everyone has ways which work for them.
  • purplebets
    Options
    I have 2 10 week old twin kittens and when they are not sleeping they are fighting. Is this normal. I not overly worried as they dont hiss at each other although sometimes they wag tails. They still sleep on each other and feed together etc. Just wondering when does play fighting become too much.
  • border_collie
    Options
    Aaah, one of the joys of having two kittens. They NEVER stop playfighting and I love watching them.
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It can sound as tho they're killing each other when in fact they really are just playing! Unless you have serious injuriy to one I wouldn't worry x
  • lowis
    lowis Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sounds like two normal kittens having some fun to me! play is a very important process, they learn how far they can go with other cats before they cause pain...so there might be the occasional meow and screech when one of them goes to far, but unless this is constant i wouldn;t worry. if they start taking chunks out of each other, hissing and growling then you have cause for concern.

i have had the same concerns as you lately with my two adult cats. i recently adopted a 14 year old siamese cat to keep my 13 year old siamese cat company...despite their age they also run around after each other, i was worried that my new cat was bullying my other cat but then i realised that there wasn't any hissing, growling, wounds, screeching, aggressiveness...just playfulness, and that when they weren't playing they are quite happy to hang out together. my new cat spent all his life as an only-cat, so at the ripe old age of 14 he has suddenly been presented with a chance of playing like a kitten with his new friend...and in the procces he too is learning where the boundaries are.
  • c6h4m1
    c6h4m1 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds normal to me, too. A friend of mine was worried when her two kittens were fighting and squealing at each other but there was never a mark on either of them - they were just a bit rough :)

If it helps, they get worse as they get older - still play fighting but when they get bigger they make more of a mess when they fight on the furniture!
  • Sazzyukrafc
    Options
    Yep just normal! I have to male brothers and when they were kittens all they did was fight and roll about the rug.

They're 18mths now and still roll around the floor fighting, chase each other and leap on top of each other. Rusty, who used to be small and get beat up, is now HUGE and beats his brother up! It's also hilarious when they do their "scary" faces and walk round in a circle and hit each other really slowly! It's very funny to watch!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure