'A generation of Muslims not able to go to university?' blog discussion

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Deepfatfriar
    Options
    No I am not a fat cat,far from it thank you.

Clearly you are comfortable with some students not paying back loans at all, thus getting free education.
  • 2sides2everystory
    Options
    No I am not a fat cat,far from it thank you.

Clearly you are comfortable with some students not paying back loans at all, thus getting free education.
    Glad to hear you aren't a fat cat.

Yes I would be exceedingly comfortable with all students receiving a free university education if they are prepared to study to the best of their ability.

What's the difference between that and giving them a free high school education apart from the fact that we in England still lag behind developed civilisations in our dumb outdated nation of shopkeepers ideas of putting a price on everything from that unique moment we think our youth should fend for themselves on the street or join the army like their great grandparents did?

It is all rather disgraceful don't you think that as a nation we should have abdicated our duty to fully educate our children in a modern civilised manner instead of a 'between the wars' type fashion?
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    Curiously I think Martin has missed the point.

If a certain minority cannot use the student loan facility then that is their issue. It is not up to us to change the system.

Of far more importance is the ever escalating cost to us taxpayers of unpaid student loans especially by foreign students.

It runs into tens if not hundred of millions as far as I am aware.

Martin does not mention this.

As a pensioner and taxpayer I object to funding free university education for those who are supposed to pay the loans back.

This thread isnt about people not paying back student loans its about a minority being penalished due to a religous pratice
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Those who wanted to see our nations flags flying above council buildings will surely be delighted to read this

"Outside Birmingham’s historic Council House, the union flag flies proudly high. So, too, do the flags bearing the cross of St George and Birmingham’s own civic emblem.

It is a scene in stark contrast with many other cities and towns across the UK, where flags are being flown at half-mast in memory of Margaret Thatcher, who died on Monday after suffering a stroke at the age of 87 ...

The union flag flew at half-mast at Number 10 and above Parliament yesterday, with councils across the country following suit.They included Kent County Hall, where Mrs Thatcher twice stood as MP for Dartford, and in her hometown of Grantham.

But not in Birmingham, the city where the Iron Lady and Longbridge convenor Derek ‘Red Robbo’ Robinson once clashed. The city’s flags flew stubbornly at the top of their poles, much to the dismay of city Tories who branded Labour rulers ‘petty’.

In another act of defiance, several councillors boycotted a minute’s silence for Mrs Thatcher at yesterday’s full council meeting – choosing to remain outside the chamber rather than take part in the memorial tribute
    ."
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/birmingham-city-council-refuses-lower-2576589
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport