BRITISH GAS doing strange things with monthly payments

Options
Hi all,

I'm looking to change gas & electric supplier as lots of people are. My British Gas fixed tariff is coming to an end and I'm looking to find a better option. But what's strange is...

A few weeks ago BG sent me a bill saying my monthly direct debit was going from £80 to £120. That's a big rise and I questioned them about it. They told me it was a mistake and they would sort it out. They came back to me saying it would actually go to £70 per month. And then they sent me another email saying it had gone down to £50 per month.

It seems to me like they are just grabbing numbers from thin air. I get the feeling they are dropping the prices to try and get me to stay, but it will race back up sooner or later. Has anyone else had this happen?

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Firstly, you are in the wrong forum. This is one for LPG, OIl and other stuff

If your deal with BG is coming to the end then it's possible that they are anticipating that you'll be daft enough to go onto their standard variable tariff (SVT) however if you've made it clear that you won't and you are in credit then they might just be reducing your DD to take into account that fact.

Another one is that they have reassesed your consumption and because it's nearly the end of summer they think that your onfoing consumption is going be be the same even though winter is coming.

Alternatively they dont have a clue and are just guessing and plucking figures from the ether.

If you read your meter monthly, keep a record and give the reading to your supplier then you should know whether you are in arrears or in credit by checking your ststement or bills.

If you take charge then you should be able to tell them what you should be paying and whether your DD needs to change becaues you should be in control, not them.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the reply... very helpful!

AND - does anyone know how I move the thread to the correct place?

matelodave wrote: »
    Firstly, you are in the wrong forum. This is one for LPG, OIl and other stuff

If your deal with BG is coming to the end then it's possible that they are anticipating that you'll be daft enough to go onto their standard variable tariff (SVT) however if you've made it clear that you won't and you are in credit then they might just be reducing your DD to take into account that fact.

Another one is that they have reassesed your consumption and because it's nearly the end of summer they think that your onfoing consumption is going be be the same even though winter is coming.

Alternatively they dont have a clue and are just guessing and plucking figures from the ether.

If you read your meter monthly, keep a record and give the reading to your supplier then you should know whether you are in arrears or in credit by checking your ststement or bills.

If you take charge then you should be able to tell them what you should be paying and whether your DD needs to change becaues you should be in control, not them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure