DIY probate advice please

Options
124»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What we found was that we were directed to complete several extra forms, but there was next to no information going on to each one ...

Keep plodding along, do it at your own pace.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mistermeaner
    Options
    Thanks all

IHT205 , PA1P and PA11 all went in an envelope today along with cheque for 220 (215 for probate plus 10 copies of grant )

I wasn't able to get through to the office to pay on phone and no online pay option as far as I could tell

Will let you know how I get on as hopefully others may find this useful if in similar situation

Thanks all for help

Edit ; also in envelop was the original will plus 2 unstapled copies and original death cert
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    applause.gif

This page gives details of what you'll need to record as executor's accounts.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all - Grant of probate received in post today making me dad's representative

Was pretty straight forward in end thanks to advice from here

Now have 10 original probate certs so can get on with transferring everything to my dad

Thanks guys for help and to anyone thinking of going diy route it's not too demanding !

Fyi used Liverpool probate office despite death registered in Manchester and paid by cheque as couldn't get anyone to answer phone - response was very quick
  • JanieSut
    Options
    Hi
    This is very helpful.

My father died in Dec., my mother in Feb. with 'mirror wills'. Their estate is well under IHT limits.
    When completing dad's form do I just value everything and half it? Then do the same for mum?
    Thank you
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JanieSut wrote: »
    Hi
    This is very helpful.

My father died in Dec., my mother in Feb. with 'mirror wills'. Their estate is well under IHT limits.
    When completing dad's form do I just value everything and half it? Then do the same for mum?
    Thank you
    You can't halve Mum's, because she's now got Dad's share.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JanieSut wrote: »
    Hi
    This is very helpful.

Thank you

as sue says; i think you have to follow the steps in the order things happened

First of all do probate for your dad; valuing things he shared with your mum (house / joint account etc.) at half their value. Things should transfer into your mums name/estate in the first instance

Everything is then owned by your mum (s estate) so then apply for probate at their full value as she now owns the lot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport