Can someone please help me, i have ran out of options

Options
Hi,

I have standard broadband with Talk Talk and cannot get fibre at my property. Speed checked with talktalk reveals i am at max speed. they even looked at the possibility of extending my bandwidth but say that its not possible. I am currently getting the max.

Currently my ping s 40, upload 0.5 & download 3.5.. I need to get a minimum of ping under 50, upload=1 and download 5 . This is the requirement i need for my job working from home, otherwise i risk loosing my job.

I have looked into satellite boradband, not an option as ping too high.

Leased lines are out of the question.

So, i think my only option will be line bonding.

Is there anyone that could give me a detailed explanation of this as i am completely clueless about it and i am starting to get a spagetti brain with it.

This is the point now with line bonding where it is starting to go completely over my head.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    do you have good mobile reception ? 4G ?

Look at EE website if you do
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What about mobile broadband or Virgin?
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi marniagni,

I'm really sorry to hear that your speeds are low in your area- Openreach are working on rolling out fibre to all UK exchanges eventually, but I understand you have to deal with slower speeds than you'd like in the meantime. If you get in touch with my team over Twitter (@Talktalk) or Facebook, we can have a look at some options to make the most of the speeds you're getting. You can also reach us using either the chat link or the 'contact us' page on our website.

Thanks,
    Becky
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    what was the minimum guaranteed speed you were told when you signed up with talktalk?

if it is below the min specified complain to them and get it to at least your min poss speed advertised,if they cant you would have grounds to leave free of charge if they don't fix the min speed you were shown on signup

personally I would never go back to talk talk, been there done that and have never gone back since

talktalk (in my opinion are the worst)

if you are close to contract end , switch to someone else

you may find your speed will improve with a more better supplier, I know mine did considerably
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Bonding a connection means basically getting another phone line installed and paying line rental and broadband package to ideally talktalk. And you can either get a router that bonds the connection for you, Or use a preferiable a linux pc that requires switches and load of ethernet cables and configuration. Etc.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    personally I would never go back to talk talk, been there done that and have never gone back since

talktalk (in my opinion are the worst)

It's not just your opinion. I'd rather use two cocoa tins and a piece of string than go back to them.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, put your phone number into this

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

and see what Openreach say is the best that your line can support.

If this is higher than what Talktalk currently provide, then at least go back to them to see if they can improve the speed.

It may be that your line will just not support any higher speeds, no matter which ISP you go to.

As others have said, maybe a 4G solution will be the answer (providing you have 4G coverage)
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    marniagni wrote: »
    So, i think my only option will be line bonding.

Is there anyone that could give me a detailed explanation of this as i am completely clueless about it and i am starting to get a spagetti brain with it.
    Bonding can work in one of two ways. Easy way is you get a second line, either with talk talk or someone else, both have different IP addresses and your router (this needs to be an altogether more clever device than the standard "free" router ISPs give out) "shares out" different requests to each line so you get effectively double the throughput. The problem is a single big download or upload will only traverse a single line, so you won't get double speed in that situation.

Second way is both lines come from the same provider on the same login, so you only have one public IP address and your router can do a single transfer spanning both lines, so adding up the total capacity of them both. The ISP I use offers this option, but you need special kit to do the bonding (and it costs), see https://aa.net.uk/broadband-extraline.html
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure