Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    to be honest ruby--best not to go o/d at all.how do u think banks get there bonuses/use 1st class business flights/hotels an wine/dine.

beleive me im a taxi driver an know where they go
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • Ruby_1
    Ruby_1 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    to be honest ruby--best not to go o/d at all.how do u think banks get there bonuses/use 1st class business flights/hotels an wine/dine.

beleive me im a taxi driver an know where they go

I know exactly what you mean Black Taxi but with a partner out of work, and having to live of my wages its not really possible. However trying to resolve this now, and as am unwilling to pay any more to HSBC in the way of charges, just trying to find the best account out there that is available to me! :)
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    i see--a tough situation-catch22

id go to Citizens Advice--local library or high street before a bank

they give you FREE independent advice---debt/budgeting ect

they will put you on back on course
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • Ruby_1
    Options
    black_taxi wrote: »
    i see--a tough situation-catch22

id go to Citizens Advice--local library or high street before a bank

they give you FREE independent advice---debt/budgeting ect

they will put you on back on course

Thats true. Never thought of that. Although finding the time to do that is hard enough as it is! Lol. Will keep looking round and see what comes up. Thanks for all ur help and advice :)
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    you will be surprised what they can do---maybe even get extra benefits for u while your in difficulties

i had to use them to take a cowboy builder to court---won my case
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • Ruby_1
    Options
    black_taxi wrote: »
    you will be surprised what they can do---maybe even get extra benefits for u while your in difficulties

i had to use them to take a cowboy builder to court---won my case

Really? Never thought they would be able to do things like that for you? Def something to look into though I feel!
    I have already been told that theres nothing extra I can get for us, due to the fact that I work long hours, and earn too much, although not quite enough for 2 ppl to live on, that I can assure them!
  • ACJMY2K84
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have been researching current accounts for the best overdraft facility, I fluctuate between +£200 and -£1000, but my current HSBC Advance account costs £13 a month and about £15 a month in interest.

I don't really mind paying a monthly fee as I get breakdown cover, travel insurance and mobile insurance, but I begrudge the monthly interest charges (trying to get out of my o/d). I have found the co-op privilege premier account which looks like a good one for me as there is a £300 o/d buffer, plus what appears to be 0% interest.

Can anyone confirm this or recommend a better alternative account?

• stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many times can you do the First Direct thing - had one a year or so ago?
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    How many times can you do the First Direct thing - had one a year or so ago?

If you're talking about getting the joining bonus, the answer is: once. The bonus is only available to those who have never previously been FD customers.
  • DreamerV
    DreamerV Posts: 823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I opened the First Account today and am waiting for security details/welcome back to open the regular saver. My income monthly is £1000 (not taxable, this is from various non-taxable sources), and I understand from what they have told me on the phone that I will not be able to get the £100 bonus. Even if I 'recycle' £500 of the incomings. They said it actually had to be salary. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, if you use their switching service, does it close the old account? As I have money going into the old account and I'm guessing the switching account only switches over direct debits going out. Also, I don't want the old account closed completely - even if it remains with a nominal £1 balance that would be ok.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback