Options

Comments

• catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Different times.

Do that in this day and age you're either really desperate or need help

Quite a rude comment and not really true.

I'd vote for a cheapo wedding and spend the rest on a house.

Exactly. Why do people fall for thinking weddings need to cost the earth?
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I don't see why you can't have both. A house is a big investment that costs money but a wedding doesn't HAVE to be a 10k splurge. Set a budget and stick to it! You can still have a nice wedding with family and friends and not spend a fortune. A house IS important and a good investment which will last longer than 1 day of a wedding...
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    House x a million
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Seat covers do make the room genuinely. By I say this as somebody that doesn't understand the logic of spending thousands of pounds on 1 day. I also think about the big weddings costing so much money what if you wake up with a headache or your grouchy or something goes wrong or somebody gets poorly. Anyway off topic.

If there is a delay or scaling back the wedding plans would the girlfriend be happy compromising. The op and her will be living together forever so she will need to be on happy with the decision or they will both be miserable.
    It's hard when you want different things but if there is only so much money and she has big ideas it's going to be very hard.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Seat covers do make the room genuinely. By I say this as somebody that doesn't understand the logic of spending thousands of pounds on 1 day. I also think about the big weddings costing so much money what if you wake up with a headache or your grouchy or something goes wrong or somebody gets poorly. Anyway off topic.
    This is just my opinion but the seat covers in the first link below make the room genuinely..........naff.

The dark blue ones in the second link seem somewhat more tasteful.
    Look at this: http://chaircoversforcelebrations.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/blush-pink-at-the-Elvetham-P1.jpg

You can see the coordination between the flowers and the chair covers. The vases on the tables are high, so that no ones view is blocked.

Here, you can see a match between the bows on the back of the seats with the tablecloth - http://www.simplybowsandchaircovers.co.uk/simplybows/images/banner1.jpg

This stuff ends up important to creating a nice room. Sure, people will generally not notice it once the disco/band fires up. This stuff ends up important to brides

Can I remember my wedding colour scheme from 9 years ago? Nope, can't at all. I remember we had similar high vases. The best money we spent was on a good live band.
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Lol. I was basing that on weddings I've been to. I hadn't opened the link. The idea is that you cover the entire seat so it's like you are sitting on something completely different that does not resemble a normal chair.

I don't have a link (not being in the habit of wedding planning and it's just my opinion) but even if I was having a basic wedding I would pay for seat covers.

Personally for me it's vegas all the way. Job done no hassle. Lucky man :rotfl:
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Amber_Sunshine
    Amber_Sunshine Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    I'd always take the pragmatic view.

Weddings are one day. Tens of thousands of pounds gone in a few hours. Marriages don't always last. Personally I'd rather invest that cash in an asset that's hopefully going to appreciate and give me security in my old age.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We spent almost nothing on the wedding. No car, no photographer, a few flowers, no fancy clothes, and a sandwich tea in the hall behind the venue. However, we did have our own house to move into.

We've been fortunate that we have been very happy together for nearly 40 years. I think it helped that we didn't have to worry about having a roof over our heads.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd always take the pragmatic view.

Weddings are one day. Tens of thousands of pounds gone in a few hours. Marriages don't always last. Personally I'd rather invest that cash in an asset that's hopefully going to appreciate and give me security in my old age.

You really don't need to spend tens of thousands of pounds if you don't want to.

However, if you are throwing a big party for your family and friends, it's going to cost something regardless of the occasion... wedding or your gran's 100th birthday.

Sometimes it's worth it.
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We bought the house first, in 2015. Now we are just under 3 months away from the wedding. Don't regret doing it this way round!!
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure