Distrust of Co-Executor plus Capital Gains Tax query

Options

Comments

• bingaling
    Options
    Thank you getmore4less - you are absolutely right regarding what needs to take priority with sister issues... We are in the process of putting everything we have learnt from all of you (am so grateful!) into our plan of action...
  • bingaling
    Options
    I have to say, that hubby and I are feeling a sense of confidence and have gained clarity over this whole issue as well as becoming stronger to face what is ahead - and that is thanks to all of you for being so generous with your time and advice.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    2007 was more or less at the height of the market before the 2008 crash. In some areas of the country prices may be similar or below 2007 values , in London though much higher.
  • bingaling
    Options
    Update: Sister has agreed to hand over bank statements but only statements from date of death of Dad. Is my hubby as executor allowed to see bank statements prior to DOD since sister was POA?

Further more have instructed a solicitor today explaining estate has become contentious.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bingaling wrote: »
    Update: Sister has agreed to hand over bank statements but only statements from date of death of Dad. Is my hubby as executor allowed to see bank statements prior to DOD since sister was POA?

Further more have instructed a solicitor today explaining estate has become contentious.

The executor needs to see earlier statements to work out whether there is any inheritance tax to pay.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    bingaling wrote: »

The executor is entitled to see anything connected with the estate. What is she trying to cover up? It might concentrate her mind if you told her that failing production of the statements withing 48 hours the police will be involved as you suspect theft prior to the death. Also have you told the Office of the public guardian that the POA may have been used to commit fraud? I realize this sounds drastic but from what you have said there seems little doubt.
  • bingaling
    Options
    Thank you Yorkshireman99 - hubby wrote to them with the seriousness of how they have acted regarding estate - they offered the docs as at DOD. We therefore have instructed solicitor. We detailed everything that has happened to date and await their instructions. We will indeed contact OPG (on my list of things to do) which I only knew of it's existence through this forum - with thanks
  • bingaling
    Options
    Thank you Mojisola for confirming this as well. It has confirmed that what we demanded from her is correct. She keeps insisting that because IHT or CGT is NOT payable that we don't need the docs - we informed her regardless as to whether it is or is not, that we still need the info.

She has had so many chances, it is now in the hands of our solicitor as well as other bodies we need to contact to get to the bottom of this.
  • bingaling
    Options
    Now this is going down the legal route, am I still allowed to obtain advice from this forum? or would it jeapordise anything?
  • littlehobbit
    Options
    Bingaling, I just popped back here tonight to update my own thread and couldn't help but read yours while I was here. I feel for you so much, there are several things that you have posted that resonate with my own situation, but it would seem that your circumstances are much more extreme and involve much more in terms of finances. Sorry have no words of wisdom, as I came here like, you for advice.

I hope the help you are getting here gives you the confidence to move forward. I hope the solicitors fees are not too high :( of course they will be taken from the estate before its divided up, so it should mean that your sisters inheritance is equally reduced by the solicitors fees, which may be some consolation.

What a silly state of affairs, always thought that bereavement brought families together to support each other, but sadly it seems to bring the worsted out in some. Your SIL seems like quite a piece of work, I'm sure she will be frantically covering her back at the moment (or attempting to get her husband to do so)

My only piece of advice would be (after seeing the solicitor yourselves) is to maybe get both husbands to have an appointment with a solicitor, hopefully if it is pointed out to her husband that he has very serous legal responsibilities he may decide he has to 'tow the line' and not be influenced by his wife quite so much. Good luck and hope things start to get more positive for you soon :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure