Options
2»

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 February 2017 at 4:28PM
    Options
    The place where I waste my money is eating out. I am the only one of my friends who doesn't like it I think - Now I think it is such a waste - overpriced food that doesn't always taste so nice and makes me fat but everyone else loves it. Just keep using vouchers that's all I can suggest.

I am supposed to be meeting friends at the weekend and I swear I might just take sarnies and buy a cup of tea as I am so poor at the moment. If you find a solution let me know I am in same boat.

Have you thought of opening separate bank accounts for things like presents, insurance etc so you can save something regularly and then you can always have cash flow when you need it?
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • JackAllSavings
    Options
    To be honest we do occasionally buy food from the local Tesco and then cook it at home which is obviously much cheaper then going out to eat, however seen as we both live as home with our parents its not the same as your situation as you probably have food in the house anyway so sorry for not having any ideas there. I think that's a great idea thank you! I have a few accounts set up with my bank which have nothing in them so could just rename them and start sticking a small amount in there a month. Will get on that when I get home tonight thank you!
    Savings Target 2017: £0/£1,000 0%
    House Deposit: £800/£10,000 8%
    Holiday Coin Jar: £130/£500 26%
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2017 at 5:06PM
    Options
    Sorry don't mean to tell you something you maybe already know but do you know that there are vouchers if you click on Deals at the top of this page ? Many of them you don't need to print you can just download to your phone and show to the waiter once you've decided where you fancy going to eat. Even Harvester was doing 33% off recently and I've used 2 for 1 on main courses in zizzi, prezzo & pizza vouchers.

Or look around for places local to you that do 2 for 1 or 2 for £xxx (our local pub does 2 for £8.99 but I've seen 2 for £6.99 as well )

I am similar to you as I have a couple of accounts with my bank so I renamed them and move the money around online after payday. I have a service plan for my car which I pay monthly so this covers my MOT and service

Maybe shop around for your tires - there are some good deals to be found online. Its usually cheaper to pre-order than just turn up on the day
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • JackAllSavings
    Options
    I didn't but I do now! Ooh that all sounds very good, literally went Harvesters at the weekend too.

Yeah I think that's a great idea to move some money around so that when it comes to it I don't have to worry about having enough money for repairs etc. as it will be ready in my account already.

I think that's the best thing to do I used to get cheap £12 pre worns but for my safety and to keep the price of the car as high as possible I need to get some mid range tyres which are not cheap.
    Savings Target 2017: £0/£1,000 0%
    House Deposit: £800/£10,000 8%
    Holiday Coin Jar: £130/£500 26%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills