If there was compulsory training for cyclists, would that put you off cycling?

Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• Tobster86
    Tobster86 Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I continue to subscribe to the view that ‘it takes two to tangle’. Tobster’s video is a very good example.

I presume you mean 'Tango', but you have a point; the impatient speeding motorist in that situation required another road user correctly using the road in order to aggressively use his horn and satisfy whatever axe he had to grind that day.
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Tobster86 wrote: »
    I presume you mean 'Tango', but you have a point; the impatient speeding motorist in that situation required another road user correctly using the road in order to aggressively use his horn and satisfy whatever axe he had to grind that day.

Yeah, you really should have just leapt off your bike and into the nearest bush or greenery, that way you wouldn't have inconvenienced that legitimate road user. :)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Originally Posted by modsandmockers viewpost.gif
    I continue to subscribe to the view that ‘it takes two to tangle’.

Presumably you apply that to pedestrians and pavement cyclists.
  • modsandmockers
    Options
    Presumably you apply that to pedestrians and pavement cyclists.
    No - because it is illegal for cyclists to be on the pavement in the first place. They are supposed to use the road.

And I only force a pavement cyclist to stop when he/she is already struggling to maintain momentum through the throngs of pedestrians and items of street furniture.
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    No - because it is illegal for cyclists to be on the pavement in the first place. They are supposed to use the road.
    It's illegal for a car driver to overtake a cyclist too closely.

The Highway Code (and all advanced driving instruction) uses the idea that in many circumstances it takes two to tango.
    This doesn't mean an equality of blame, or even that any blame should be apportioned to one party, just that with a little thought, you can avoid risks posed by other road users.

This philosophy applies to a pedestrian having to avoid an illegal pavement cyclist as much as a cyclist having to avoid an illegal overtaking manoeuvre by a car driver.

There are however many circumstances where, despite one's best avoidance strategies, you simply cannot avoid contact or a near miss from another road user.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Come on guys, only 2 weeks to go and we hit the 2 months mark!!!
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Tobster86
    Tobster86 Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think we'll make it. Science has yet to discover any sufficiently psychedelic substances to enable Mods to conjure up any more far fetched arguments.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Come on guys, only 2 weeks to go and we hit the 2 months mark!!!

It is frustrating. But when a dog !!!!!! in my garden, I have to clear it up.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • modsandmockers
    Options
    Tobster86 wrote: »
    I don't think we'll make it. Science has yet to discover any sufficiently psychedelic substances to enable Mods to conjure up any more far fetched arguments.
    These days, I am fully satisfied by my legal highs (most of which are prescribed by the NHS).
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport