PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thumb feels a lot better this morning caronc and yes those big splints are marvellous, life savers tbh, keeps fingers straight

I have decided to eat my last meal earlier than 5, I have been edging to 4.30 anyway and really it is just a snack, albeit tasty. So by 4 pm today and I am thinking that my stomach won`t protest at all. I have had my main meal at 12 for many years. Very strange how I never ever think of snacking after that last small meal

I had an egg, leaves and tomato for breakfast and will get busy soon, I have bedding for my bed and spare beds to sort. It is all over the landing floor right now, I was too warm last night so need to finally change that for summer. I dragged it out before I came down so I have to do it
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 May 2018 at 8:43AM
    Options

Don't know if you have anything like that - and in this day and age of increasing cost-cutting - available to you from your Council?
    Cheers. The local council used to offer a renovation grant which was a charge on your house when it was sold or you died - a sort of benign equity release - but they aren't doing it any more. However their website says there may be something in 2018 so am going to contact them.
    So many conflicting demands. Got a local wood restorer coming round today to do a test piece on a bit of my beams to show me what he can get them to. He says it will give my house the wow factor and sell it three times over. He is the person in these parts. He doesn't need to tout for business - it's only the lucky ones that he agrees to work for. :(
    Then there's the kitchen but that may have to be a bodge job - ie new work surfaces/unit doors.
    I've even been looking at equity release but a better alternative might be a new interest only mortgage product that is coming out for pensioners! Just £10,000 would do nicely.
    Anyway this is nowt to do with cooking for one - except I might shortly be comparing recipes for gruel....:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I was "killing time" - no point going home to pace about, knowing I had to be somewhere a bit later.... so I sat and looked at the sea. Then I went up the road "looking for food", nothing in the Co-Op, so drove round the corner and there was a Tesco Express and a chippy ... checked the price of chips (£1.70) then went into TE to see if they could beat the price point of £1.70 for "something nice to eat" and they couldn't ... so it was a bag of chips, parked up by the beach again :)

Been up since 5 this morning, saw the weather and thought "good drying day", so dug out some big stuff that I can wash, then vacuum pack down and "pack away"... at the launderette at 7.30, sat outside while it finished, then went in, to overhear that they are closing down "now" as they have leak issues... so I was lucky to get that load done! It's all now on the line.... then I spread the bag of bark I bought yesterday on "the bit I had to skimp on as I ran out".

I've two big bread rolls to eat today ... might have half of one topped with beans/scrambled eggs for breakfast in a bit.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 9:33AM
    Options
    Pineapple - don't forget with equity release that women are still currently being paid less than men. I've had it up to "here" with being told the excuse for that particular form of sex discrimination and it should be in the history books by now (along with the excuse as to why women werent allowed to vote until after men could). The "excuse" used for that one is phrased as "Women live longer than men - so we would be paying Miss/Ms/Mx the same overall". Yeah - right...

But, for some strange reason or other, these companies are still being allowed to get away with that form of sex discrimination still:huh::huh::huh:.

I'm dying to see the first encounter these companies have with someone that was born one sex and self-identifies as the opposite sex or no sex:rotfl::rotfl: May the best person win on that one - ie not the companies:)

But - meanwhile you'd be stuck getting lower income than you're due for for however-many-years that malarkey is allowed to continue - and there'd probably be some clause or other down in the agreement to keep you on the "womans rate" even after equalisation happens (whenever that is).

I don't know about you - but it would absolutely stick in my craw so much to be treated that way that I simply wouldnt even consider it unless & until everyone is treated the same regardless of the sex of their body.

Hope you succeed in figuring out a way to deal with these expenses one way or another.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found the heat pad helped re my back at work yesterday, it was a freebie from somewhere, so I don't have more:( I put ibuprofen gel on again last night, then again this morning after my shower.

I had hm gf pizza with smoked salmon and veg last night, the salmon makes it really tasty.
    Followed by yogurt and raspberries.
    I slept better last night only woke a couple of times.
    My duvet seems awfully thin, it's 13.5 tog and I'm wondering if it's at the end of its life? I might get the summer one out and compare, give the winter one it's annual wash if nice this weekend.

Work today and I've lifted the lo hm pasta bake out of freezer last night, I've added some mexican chicken pieces that needed eating to it and that's lunch.
    Dgson is here later and we are having, nachos, with cheese and jalapeños, various dips left from Sunday bbq, and chicken marinated in fajita seasoning, plus rice if needed.

The weather is grey and quite windy, I'm hoping the weather forcast is better for the weekend.:D
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Brambling - I think we might share a sister:rotfl::rotfl:

Thanks kittie, my thumb is a lot less swollen this morning though still stiff and sore but definitely on the mend:)

wort, heatpads are so fab, I bought some "wheaty bags" recently on BOGOF. I think it worked out a £8 for the two bags.

All this talk of home improvements is making me feel :o, I really must start the ball rolling re a new bathroom. I have the cash but baulking at the upheaval.

It is very windy and chilly this morning with rain forecast for late afternoon. I'm just going to finish my cuppa and head to the garden while it still dry. I need to get some salad stuff planted and do some more sweeping/tidying up.

Breakfast was the usual toast & fruit and lunch will be soup and salad. Tonight I'm having scampi & oven chips with the last of the asparagus and some peas.
    Options
    Caron - have you got a 2nd bathroom or, at least, a 2nd loo?

Basically - you can reckon on 5 workdays to get a bathroom gutted - apart from the decorating imo

'Twas not funny when I had my bathroom done - and I won't talk about the standard of the firm that did it...you can guess:cool:

It's the only bathroom in this house and there isn't a 2nd loo - so there were times when desperation = having to use a "bucket and chuck it". Fortunately it's a bungalow - and there are a couple of drainhole covers near the back door:rotfl: - ahem.

On the other hand - what are the cat-owning neighbours like? Do you get free use of their bathroom for a few days as a "reward" for looking out for their cat?:D. Failing that - I guess it's your dad's house or the local leisure centre for shower purposes.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No I've just the one bathroom, I'm sure I could use the neighbour's loo but would rather not. I'll need to camp out at my Dad's which again isn't ideal. I'm thinking I might rent a holiday let for a week.

It's very, very windy here so had to abandon gardening. I did get a raised bed filled and radish, pak choi, herb leaf and smowball turnips planted so not a completely wasted morning.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 2:14PM
    Options
    Okays caron. One bit of advice from my own bathroom fitting is that I didnt realise (until afterwards) that they put my shower heading thingie too high for a short woman (ie me - and they HAD seen me). Also - I was in all the time they were doing it - so they could easily have consulted me about it.

Mr Tall Man put it at a suitable height for a tall man.

I checked out all the "how to" info. afterwards - and website after website says that the shower heading thingie needs to be set at a height "suitable for all members of the family" (ie even children then).

So - you do need to keep an eye on them to make sure about that point. Otherwise - you get in your new shower the first morning of use and reach immediately forward of your hand for the soap dish attached to shower slider rail and wonder why you can't feel it. Then you open your eyes and look - and realise it's about a foot higher than where it's supposed to be and that is because the bottom of the shower slider rail is about a foot higher than it's supposed to be.:eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek:

You don't want to know just how many of the swear words in the dictionary you might find you know - with every alternate word being "thick", "thick", "thick as 2 short planks" - and it's not yourself you are referring to......
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Normal nil breakfast, volunteering day
    Into L's on the way, found pack of YS cheese & onion pasties, grabbed them thinking of tonight's dinner

However mind changed mid morning, thus found myself in the chippy on the way home, one OAP cod & chips. £4.20
    It was huge, freshly fried, I allowed them to add "normal" chippy shake it everywhere salt & vinegar. Just like old times

Had break with tradition, took it home & ate it from a plate, but with wholemeal bread & butter, and made a super chip butty out of it.:j

Because I rarely have such a meal I really enjoyed it
    caronc wrote: »
    All this talk of home improvements is making me feel :o, I really must start the ball rolling re a new bathroom. I have the cash but baulking at the upheaval.

As others have said, it is a real upheaval, I only have one bathroom so it was awkward. Glad when it was over
    Can't say i had shower height problems, my fitter had common sense & asked, I stood there & he marked out the fitting holes.

I found out later he had still bodged some it it though, only fitted one "o" ring on shower pipe for instance, guess he lost the other one:(
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback