PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One cheap way of getting access to a loo/shower etc is to find the cheapest/closest camp site - borrow a tent and pitch it - smallest tent, no electrical hook up ... probably costing you £10/night.

You don't use the tent.... just turn up, park beside it, use the loos/showers, go home again :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    This time last week it was HOT, with a HOT BH weekend stretching ahead of us .... here, now, today, it's cold, cold, cold and just started raining.

No idea what I'll be eating, it's dumpling weather.... I might do chips later, with beans ... maybe cheese (if I CBA to grate some).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Okays caron. One bit of advice from my own bathroom fitting is that I didnt realise (until afterwards) that they put my shower heading thingie too high for a short woman (ie me - and they HAD seen me). Also - I was in all the time they were doing it - so they could easily have consulted me about it.

Mr Tall Man put it at a suitable height for a tall man.

I checked out all the "how to" info. afterwards - and website after website says that the shower heading thingie needs to be set at a height "suitable for all members of the family" (ie even children then).

So - you do need to keep an eye on them to make sure about that point. Otherwise - you get in your new shower the first morning of use and reach immediately forward of your hand for the soap dish attached to shower slider rail and wonder why you can't feel it. Then you open your eyes and look - and realise it's about a foot higher than where it's supposed to be and that is because the bottom of the shower slider rail is about a foot higher than it's supposed to be.:eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek:

You don't want to know just how many of the swear words in the dictionary you might find you know - with every alternate word being "thick", "thick", "thick as 2 short planks" - and it's not yourself you are referring to......
    Oh don't worry I'll be being very specific re my needs. I'm thinking I could book a near by Air B"nB flat that way I can still be about to keep an eye on things. I could go and stay with my pals with the pooches as they have offered but they aren't local and rural so I'd basically be away which I don't want. It will add ££s to the cost but in the scheme of things worth it I reckon...

One cheap way of getting access to a loo/shower etc is to find the cheapest/closest camp site - borrow a tent and pitch it - smallest tent, no electrical hook up ... probably costing you £10/night.

You don't use the tent.... just turn up, park beside it, use the loos/showers, go home again :)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:There is a small very basic touring site literally a few hundred metres from my house! I'm sure the owner would welcome me, a lovely (though rather [STRIKE]strange[/STRIKE] eccentric) guy who would do anything for anyone but as the rumour is he has a "soft spot" for me I really rather not do anything that might give him ideas:eek::eek:

When I was getting a previous bathroom taken out many moons ago (20+ years ago) we managed to get hold of an ancient touring caravan (no water or electric) and we booked it in a localish small holiday park for a few of nights. My ex took us/it there and my Mum, myself and the two boys (both pre-school) stayed for a few nights until the worst of the work was done (my ex & late FIL were installing it). It was Autumn and freezing, the boys loved it but it was an "interesting" few days though better than being at home (just):cool:

On the subject of freezing it has barely reached double figures here today, it's bucketed down since early afternoon and I've just put the heating on. :(

Tomorrow I must do a meal plan for the next week, after today's horrible weather it looks as though it could perk up a bit. Not quite lots of "salad weather" but not "stew & dumplings weather" either. My fridge seems to full of an assortment of random food so need to have a think about turning that into meals:).
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I had two hot sausage rolls, that's the last of that packet.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Caronc I have 5 sisters do you want to share any more :rotfl: luckily only one lives a mile away from me the rest are a lot further

It seems most of us have had the dreaded bathroom done :) my builder said they would always ensure they would leave me with a working toilet every night, I decided having a sister a mile away had some benefits :rotfl: and stayed with her, going home only to liaise with the builders and look after the cats. I couldn't fault their work and every thing was discussed before they did it, in fact he came up with some good ideas.

Glad you enjoyed your fish and chips Farway

I don't know much about equity release Pineapple but assume you have to be careful if you think you may want to move again in the future, or have you reached the never again phase? I don't regret owning my own house but it can produce some big bills for boring unexiting things :o

Vegetarian lasagna liberated from the freezer for lunch I wish I could remember what went into it as it was rather nice (if I say so myself :D) I think I roasted the veg first but other than that is any ones guess, I did find some roasted fennel in it :rotfl: HM burger for dinner, so not much of an effort today.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    edited 11 May 2018 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Caronc I have 5 sisters do you want to share any more :rotfl: luckily only one lives a mile away from me the rest are a lot further

It seems most of us have had the dreaded bathroom done :) my builder said they would always ensure they would leave me with a working toilet every night, I decided having a sister a mile away had some benefits :rotfl: and stayed with her, going home only to liaise with the builders and look after the cats. I couldn't fault their work and every thing was discussed before they did it, in fact he came up with some good ideas.

Glad you enjoyed your fish and chips Farway

I don't know much about equity release Pineapple but assume you have to be careful if you think you may want to move again in the future, or have you reached the never again phase? I don't regret owning my own house but it can produce some big bills for boring unexiting things :o

Vegetarian lasagna liberated from the freezer for lunch I wish I could remember what went into it as it was rather nice (if I say so myself :D) I think I roasted the veg first but other than that is any ones guess, I did find some roasted fennel in it :rotfl: HM burger for dinner, so not much of an effort today.
    Eh no thanks , one sister is more than enough for me:D. I could camp out at hers but unfortunately her loo is upstairs which I can't manage....

Ditto re the roasted veg lasagne I had last night, the filling was lovely but had definitely been a case of bung what was lurking:)
    ETA, I should add my sis & I are really close but we do drive each other nuts at times as we are completely different in many ways but scarily the same in others. We don't look at all alike but my elder son is her double so no disputing the family link!
  • Brambling
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Eh no thanks , one sister is more than enough for me:D. I could camp out at hers but unfortunately her loo is upstairs which I can't manage....

Ditto re the roasted veg lasagne I had last night, the filling was lovely but had definitely been a case of bung what was lurking:)
    ETA, I should add my sis & I are really close but we do drive each other nuts at times as we are completely different in many ways but scarily the same in others. We don't look at all alike but my elder son is her double so no disputing the family link!

My 'local' sister and I are the closest both in age, location and getting on, we are there for each other and both know any secrets go no further. I also gave her a black eye with a cricket bat when we were children, I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] have the temper and she was the red head that sulked :rotfl: strangely enough I look like my mum's family and have my dad's temperament and she looks like my dad's family and has my mum's temperament.
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    My 'local' sister and I are the closest both in age, location and getting on, we are there for each other and both know any secrets go no further. I also gave her a black eye with a cricket bat when we were children, I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] have the temper and she was the red head that sulked :rotfl: strangely enough I look like my mum's family and have my dad's temperament and she looks like my dad's family and has my mum's temperament.
    LOL we are both (or were) redheads, she has my mum's temper & I'm more placid like my dad unless I get really riled (rarely), in which case everyone dives for cover:o. Thankfully neither of us "do" sulking:).
  • Brambling
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    LOL we are both (or were) redheads, she has my mum's temper & I'm more placid like my dad unless I get really riled (rarely), in which case everyone dives for cover:o. Thankfully neither of us "do" sulking:).

I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] was a brunette with red highlights and a temper when younger which came from 2 red head grandparents :rotfl: I have learnt to control it as an adult (usually) When my sister who rarely loses her temper does we all duck :eek:. I no longer remember why I hit her I just remember being really annoyed that my dad took away my cricket bat :rotfl: she has never let me forget it :p
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I have the 3am munchies. Been up since 3am, had a coffee... and now I think I really fancy something to eat.

Wish I'd got something exciting in, but I don't have.

I might cook pizza at 5-6am, or chips .... who knows, eh! It's that combination of what you've got in the house and what you CBA to get out/re-heat :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback