Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    There is no shame in (a) stopping if you have realised it is not for you (b) deciding to gain the qualification and then re-think as you will always have it to "fall back to" if you change your mind later.
    I'm rethinking a lot at the moment. I think it is fine to learn and move on.

Thanks, Watty. I'm rethinking a lot at the moment. :)
    maman wrote: »
    I agree.

I know you did your research and lots of volunteering before starting the course. If the problem is the particular school you're training in then it may be worth just biting the bullet and getting the qualification. What is it that's making you have this change of outlook?:)

My concern is the culture; mainly due to politicisation, the way staff are treated and colleagues. I've mentioned before it seems we are made to feel guilty about having a life outside of work. One member of staff told me today that I "don't belong here", truth is I don't but I know it was a thinly veiled insult as she told me on my first day I won't fit in dressed as I was. This was all due to me wearing a suit and my old school tie (she became aware when I told pupils). I'm also fighting boredom each day which is something I didn't expect to be saying. Things are very slow going with a class and many don't seem particularly interested in learning. I had this to an extent in the music voluntary school but also had pupils helping to form intellectually stimulating and meaningful discussions. This is very different to my experience both volunteering and as a parent interested in educating my own son.

Had dinner with my parents tonight as we had to discuss some matters arising relating to business. I'm really enjoying getting involved with a property project rather than just being the son who now deals with tenants because the parents are too old.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Alex.

They sound like fairly unhelpful comments from your colleague. If you want to wear a suit that's entirely your own choice although maybe not the most practical in a primary classroom. Beware PVA glue!!:D But I can see that the 'old school tie' image is a form of political statement in itself. It's almost impossible to avoid political influence in education impinging on the everyday life of the classroom whether that's the effects of funding or curriculum changes or teaching to the tests. The list is endless.

The only saving grace (and probably the reason that anyone stays in education) is that teachers do have a choice on how they deliver the curriculum and how they manage pupils. You have to be creative and make it engaging and whenever possible fun. There's still the drudgery side (not everything can be fun) but if you have good relationships with children they'll get on with that too just to please you. It's difficult to achieve this when it's not your own class and you have to work under the direction of another teacher (who may not share your viewpoint) and you have to tick boxes but when you have QTS you will have that freedom.

From the employee side it is difficult to do the job properly and have a 'life outside work'. That's the main reason teachers are leaving in droves and the government is struggling to recruit. However, whatever the school culture is then provided you can do all the preparation, teaching and assessment activities that are required of you in the time you are prepared to devote to it then they can't dictate how you choose to spend your own time.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    If you are able to persevere and gain the PGCE the first year is the worst. That QTS year is effectively your probation year with greater scrutiny. Still a bit of tick-box evaluation I'm afraid. With that though, you have many more options. You could tutor, teach in smaller classes via the private sector or simply supply teach - though the latter means the relationships with the pupils are less well formed, on the plus side, much of the paper-keeping drudgery can be left to others, and you won't be scrutinised in the same way.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Will you be at the same school for your whole PGCE year?
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks Alex.

They sound like fairly unhelpful comments from your colleague. If you want to wear a suit that's entirely your own choice although maybe not the most practical in a primary classroom. Beware PVA glue!!:D But I can see that the 'old school tie' image is a form of political statement in itself. It's almost impossible to avoid political influence in education impinging on the everyday life of the classroom whether that's the effects of funding or curriculum changes or teaching to the tests. The list is endless.

Thank you, maman. :)

They are unhelpful at best. Today I discovered everyone else (including another student teacher) has been invited out to dinner. They seem to think it is OK to exclude me. I don't know why but I seem to have an ability to wind people up before I've hardly said anything.

It seems the rest of the staff do not know how to present themselves but are militant about how pupils are presented. Not a chance staff would have been allowed to teach dressed as most of them are during my schooldays, yet they dare critique my presentation. Not sure what's political about telling pupils to have pride in their school?

I'm starting to find that to be the case. It seems there's a lot which has little to do with preparing pupils academically.
    The only saving grace (and probably the reason that anyone stays in education) is that teachers do have a choice on how they deliver the curriculum and how they manage pupils. You have to be creative and make it engaging and whenever possible fun. There's still the drudgery side (not everything can be fun) but if you have good relationships with children they'll get on with that too just to please you. It's difficult to achieve this when it's not your own class and you have to work under the direction of another teacher (who may not share your viewpoint) and you have to tick boxes but when you have QTS you will have that freedom.

Before starting this I thought I would enjoy this side to it but I'm not engaging with the pupils either.
    From the employee side it is difficult to do the job properly and have a 'life outside work'. That's the main reason teachers are leaving in droves and the government is struggling to recruit. However, whatever the school culture is then provided you can do all the preparation, teaching and assessment activities that are required of you in the time you are prepared to devote to it then they can't dictate how you choose to spend your own time.

I am not able to complete what I need to in the time I can devote to this (Monday to Friday 8-4). Initially I thought I would have extra time in the evening but at the moment it is all systems go with the property project which I am managing. I am getting behind with the paperwork but cannot face losing my weekends to it nor time with my family. Being honest I went into this mainly because my outlook about others has changed over the past few years and I wanted to give pupils an opportunity to engage with education and improve their lives. I think there is also an element of realising my son is becoming more independent and my wife will bear no more children. As I enjoy being a parent, I thought I'd enjoy being a teacher and having a class would occupy me during the daytimes and keep me young. However, I'm finding some of my old views are creeping back (don't think that's a good thing as I'd got to a point of seeing good in most people) and starting to realise I'm apathetic to pupils showing no motivation to progress.
    If you are able to persevere and gain the PGCE the first year is the worst. That QTS year is effectively your probation year with greater scrutiny. Still a bit of tick-box evaluation I'm afraid. With that though, you have many more options. You could tutor, teach in smaller classes via the private sector or simply supply teach - though the latter means the relationships with the pupils are less well formed, on the plus side, much of the paper-keeping drudgery can be left to others, and you won't be scrutinised in the same way.

Currently I don't think I'm going to get through this year, SL.
    Will you be at the same school for your whole PGCE year?

No, not at the same school.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    In other news, Mrs. K. has returned. :) She got home early and picked our son up from school. :) We've been for a nice walk this evening (whilst son was at orchestra) before sitting down together after putting our son to bed to work out our finances for the coming month. My wife has decided she wishes to help me and has improved my spreadsheets. We are going to set some October targets tomorrow.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning Alex

As per what others have said, if you can keep your head down, suck it up and do the work required during this year to get your qualification then you can pick where your skills fit best eg maybe a private school, a small school, a 'niche' type school or the local school etc. At the moment you are one person (a temp one at that) in an established school with an established ethos and you need them more than they need you so do what you must do, learn what you can about teaching and, crucially, about how to treat other student teachers you may one day be mentoring and move on to your next assignment. If your lad was finding things a bit hard but you could see the bigger picture of why he needs to do a particular task you would be trying to engage him in doing it. Sometimes the bigger picture requires you to just get through things not to change every situation into one where you are fulfilled and exeedingly happy in every job. Do the same pep talk with yourself. After all that's what being a grown up is all about. If you want to teach at some point in the future you will need this qualification so don't give it all up just to have to rejoin again in a year or two.

However, as ever, there are two angles to everything. Maybe doing this has actually shown you that you had a really good job right within grasp all the time and you don't need this teaching drain. Maybe you have FINALLY had the mindshift from this strange attitude you have to working in the family business. Maybe you are finally ready to commit to it properly and do it to the best of your ability full time and to heck with your folks trying to undermine you about how they would have done things. It's time for you to take the business forward properly into the next 30 years or so and this time to take a proper salary for the hard work you do instead of this weird guilt you seem to have about taking your due salary.

Just my thoughts for the little they are worth. I'm sure it's completely natural to swither like this, i would bet you most of the others on your course are having similar thoughts if not now then at some point over the year. We all need to try things to see if we like them, if you cooked something and didn't like it you wouldn't label yourself a failure, you'd just say you didn't like it and cook something else next day. As long as you try something properly and don't just give up at the first hurdle, as long as you have the bigger picture in mind and don't think like a teenager ie 'every job will be EXACTLY the same as this placement so I don't want to teach' then you will make the right decision for you. And only you can know what that is, so NOONE can tell you you did the wrong thing.

Chin up and you will make the right choice

Daisy
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Ok Alex, I'm going to be a bit harsh here, I'm sorry to do it and I assure you its only because I care!

Do you remember when your son started at the village school and it seemed that you were always on the wrong side of the staff and the other parents and that you always seemed to wind them up? Remember how at first you were convinced you were in the right and that they just weren't up to yours and your son's standards? Remember how with a bit of time you realised that they just had a slightly different approach and had had different experiences to you? A few years down the line and with all the progress you've made in seeing things from other people's perspectives those relationships are so much better and you and your son are both happier and better off for it?

Is it at all possible that when faced with this new situation you have reverted back to old habits that haven't done you any good in the past and aren't doing you any good now? Turning up as a student teacher in a struggling state school in your old school tie perhaps not the best way to make the right first impression? Being critical of experienced professionals when you are new to this and haven't faced the obstacles they have yet perhaps not a great way to make supportive relationships with the staff?

There are undoubtedly some things that you are right about, the culture of sacrificing your own personal and family life for the school is not right and not something you should feel obliged to get into beyond your contractual obligations, and I'm sure there are teachers teaching in a way you would not want to emulate yourself. This is all part of the process you're going through though.

If you will be starting at a different school in the January term, why not see it as a fresh start and approach it in a slightly different way. Dress smart but more in line with how the other teachers dress, not in a way that comes across as a statement in any way! Make an effort with the staff you meet to ask about their experiences and how they have managed with the things you are finding difficult, you might get some really helpful knowledge.

You are talking about your course in a very defeatist way at the moment and its not even October yet! If your son had wanted to start a new hobby and then decided to give up after three and a half weeks, what would you say to him? What lesson would you want to be teaching in that situation?
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    Morning Alex

As per what others have said, if you can keep your head down, suck it up and do the work required during this year to get your qualification then you can pick where your skills fit best eg maybe a private school, a small school, a 'niche' type school or the local school etc. At the moment you are one person (a temp one at that) in an established school with an established ethos and you need them more than they need you so do what you must do, learn what you can about teaching and, crucially, about how to treat other student teachers you may one day be mentoring and move on to your next assignment. If your lad was finding things a bit hard but you could see the bigger picture of why he needs to do a particular task you would be trying to engage him in doing it. Sometimes the bigger picture requires you to just get through things not to change every situation into one where you are fulfilled and exeedingly happy in every job. Do the same pep talk with yourself. After all that's what being a grown up is all about. If you want to teach at some point in the future you will need this qualification so don't give it all up just to have to rejoin again in a year or two.

However, as ever, there are two angles to everything. Maybe doing this has actually shown you that you had a really good job right within grasp all the time and you don't need this teaching drain. Maybe you have FINALLY had the mindshift from this strange attitude you have to working in the family business. Maybe you are finally ready to commit to it properly and do it to the best of your ability full time and to heck with your folks trying to undermine you about how they would have done things. It's time for you to take the business forward properly into the next 30 years or so and this time to take a proper salary for the hard work you do instead of this weird guilt you seem to have about taking your due salary.

Just my thoughts for the little they are worth. I'm sure it's completely natural to swither like this, i would bet you most of the others on your course are having similar thoughts if not now then at some point over the year. We all need to try things to see if we like them, if you cooked something and didn't like it you wouldn't label yourself a failure, you'd just say you didn't like it and cook something else next day. As long as you try something properly and don't just give up at the first hurdle, as long as you have the bigger picture in mind and don't think like a teenager ie 'every job will be EXACTLY the same as this placement so I don't want to teach' then you will make the right decision for you. And only you can know what that is, so NOONE can tell you you did the wrong thing.

Chin up and you will make the right choice

Daisy

Thanks, Daisy. :)

I think you've summed up my dilemma rather well. I am aware not every school is the same and something would fit more than the current one but I'm really not sure I want to teach at all. Before starting I thought I wanted to teach and if I didn't get through this year it would be to do with something external rather than the job itself. I had not tried being in the school environment five days per week before now.

At the moment it's making me appreciate my other business interests and has given me the confidence to believe I can work at something for 40 or so hours per week. After becoming ill I used to let everything else come first before work because if I'm honest I knew there were no real consequences and I had let work take over before leaving. Despite not enjoying myself, I feel I am mentally stronger than I ever have been in adulthood. I contacted my old business partner about him potentially doing some joinery work for me because he's the best I know, I was the one to destroy the friendship we once had and it was my mind which wasn't on business matters. I wouldn't have done this before as I wasn't focusing on what was right for the business. To cut a long story short, we met for dinner and went through our requirements. He wants the job, we got talking about furniture and how one of our old designs would work really well in the setting. I miss running the business terribly and always said had I given it more time and effort things would be very different. As for my parents, we are getting along very well. They are really pleased with the effort my wife and I have put in to moving along with the development project.
    Ok Alex, I'm going to be a bit harsh here, I'm sorry to do it and I assure you its only because I care!

Do you remember when your son started at the village school and it seemed that you were always on the wrong side of the staff and the other parents and that you always seemed to wind them up? Remember how at first you were convinced you were in the right and that they just weren't up to yours and your son's standards? Remember how with a bit of time you realised that they just had a slightly different approach and had had different experiences to you? A few years down the line and with all the progress you've made in seeing things from other people's perspectives those relationships are so much better and you and your son are both happier and better off for it?

Is it at all possible that when faced with this new situation you have reverted back to old habits that haven't done you any good in the past and aren't doing you any good now? Turning up as a student teacher in a struggling state school in your old school tie perhaps not the best way to make the right first impression? Being critical of experienced professionals when you are new to this and haven't faced the obstacles they have yet perhaps not a great way to make supportive relationships with the staff?

There are undoubtedly some things that you are right about, the culture of sacrificing your own personal and family life for the school is not right and not something you should feel obliged to get into beyond your contractual obligations, and I'm sure there are teachers teaching in a way you would not want to emulate yourself. This is all part of the process you're going through though.

If you will be starting at a different school in the January term, why not see it as a fresh start and approach it in a slightly different way. Dress smart but more in line with how the other teachers dress, not in a way that comes across as a statement in any way! Make an effort with the staff you meet to ask about their experiences and how they have managed with the things you are finding difficult, you might get some really helpful knowledge.

You are talking about your course in a very defeatist way at the moment and its not even October yet! If your son had wanted to start a new hobby and then decided to give up after three and a half weeks, what would you say to him? What lesson would you want to be teaching in that situation?

Thanks, Red Squirrel.

I suppose I've a lot to think about.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    At the moment it's making me appreciate my other business interests and has given me the confidence to believe I can work at something for 40 or so hours per week.
    great

if I'm honest I knew there were no real consequences something to watch out for - there are always consequences of one sort or another

Despite not enjoying myself, I feel I am mentally stronger than I ever have been in adulthood. fabulous

I contacted my old business partner about him potentially doing some joinery work for me because he's the best I know, I was the one to destroy the friendship we once had and it was my mind which wasn't on business matters. I wouldn't have done this before as I wasn't focusing on what was right for the business. To cut a long story short, we met for dinner and went through our requirements. He wants the job, we got talking about furniture and how one of our old designs would work really well in the setting. I miss running the business terribly and always said had I given it more time and effort things would be very different. I think you know how important this last sentence is. Little point just talking about it, prove (to yourself, that's the only one who matters) that this time will be different

As for my parents, we are getting along very well. They are really pleased with the effort my wife and I have put in to moving along with the development project. fabulous. Just as we advise you not to take too much notice when they criticise, try not to take too much notice of this. As past experience has taught you, when their mood changes they can see things quite differently so don't get too caught up in their praise as, nice though it is when it comes, they often withhold it so protect yourself.

Well done my friend, first step to knowing what you want is knowing what you don't want, think about it all and take your time deciding

Daisy
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure