My ex is trying to force me to sell

Options
I have always paid the morgage and bills as my ex couldnt be trusted with money. Hes moved out and back in so many times due to cheating ive lost count. Now ive called time and refused to have him back hes tried to force me to sell. We have 2 children together and they live with me. He finally agreed i could take his name off the morgage but only if im not aloud to sell the house untill our small children are 18. Then they would get half of the proceeds. Can he do this ? Can he force me to sell when ive always paid the morgage. Hes trying to control me and ive had enough. I cant afford to sell or remorgage as hes left me clearing up debt

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Were you married?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    Will the lender allow him to remove his name, have they confirmed you qualify for a mortgage in your sole name?
  • Blar
    Blar Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    No we werent married
  • Blar
    Options
    The lender wants me to do an affordability check i know i can afford it as ive always paid but hes ruined my credit rating and ive defaulted. Im clearing the debt hes left me in through stepchange and am managing to pay everything. Its just pursuading the lender to agree
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Making the mortgage payments each month is not the same thing as passing the lender!!!8217;s affordability tests.

If you ex jointly owns the property you can!!!8217;t prevent him from entering the property without a court order. He can also take you to court to force the sale of the property if he wants but that will take a long time and is expensive.

Is there a deed of trust setting out what will happen in the event of a relationship breakdown?
  • Blar
    Options
    No i dont belive a deed of trust has been set out. If he did take me to court would the judge look favourably on myself because ive always paid the morgage or doesnt that matter. Hes threatened to throw me out at the end of the month if i dont get this sorted and he move back in. Hes a drug addict on a suspended sentence whos under compulsary drug councilling . Ive suffered domestic abuse and been landed with debt. Im hoping i have a case if needs be
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you spoken to Womens' Aid? They may be able to advise.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He finally agreed i could take his name off the morgage but only if im not aloud to sell the house untill our small children are 18. Then they would get half of the proceeds.
    That's an interesting suggestion. In theory, his suggestion is not unreasonable. He says he is prepared to take his name off the deeds/mortgage without you having to give him anything but wants what he would legally be entitled to (50% or proceed) to go to his children when they turn 18.

However, what that 50% that he could claim would only be for time you bought the house together to the time he's taken his name off the deeds not 50% of the entirety of equity.

When did you purchase the property and who paid the deposit? The fact that he didn't pay the mortgage because he wasn't good with money is irrelevant, you were a couple and jointly responsible, so legally, he could claim 50% of equity build up until he moved out as a minimum (and possibly the deposit if he paid it in full).

If you work and could afford a mortgage to another property on you own that would accommodate the need of the children, then a judge could order the sale of the house and him getting his 50%.

The easiest way to resolve this is to agree the sum that he would be reasonable entitled to if you sold now, and then agree that when you sale the house, that sum goes into a trust fund for the children if you sale before they turn 18, or release to them when they are 18.

In the end, it's either him getting that sum at some point, or it going to your kids, so you might negotiate something that support the second suggestion.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 15 February 2018 at 2:28PM
    Options
    Blar wrote: »
    The lender wants me to do an affordability check i know i can afford it as ive always paid but hes ruined my credit rating and ive defaulted. Im clearing the debt hes left me in through stepchange and am managing to pay everything. Its just pursuading the lender to agree
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Making the mortgage payments each month is not the same thing as passing the lender!!!8217;s affordability tests.
    Pixie is correct here.
    My friend was in a similar situation.
    Ex had left her, she was paying the full mortgage on her own.
    The lender refused to take his name off the mortgage.
    So she had to continue paying the mortgage.
    The scumbag wouldn't even allow her to renegotiate a better deal when the original one had expired.
    Don't hold out much hope for your lender to agree.

And she was forced to put the house up for sale, even though her children were of school age.
    I believe she had a rubbish solicitor, possibly because she was on legal aid.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The debts you are paying off

Are they in joint names? / just his name? / or just your name?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills