Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rasharoon wrote: »
    Hi
    Just after some thoughts please.
    I have a 19 year old Son who lives with his Dad and Step Mum in a 2 bedroomed rented flat.
    His wife has a Daughter who is about 22 and has just come back from travelling.
    They are having to share a bedroom- separate beds and my Son is ok with this.
    I feel very unsure about this situation but can’t speak to the Dad as our relationship is non existent.
    Am I just being silly. I don’t think for a second anything is going on but privacy etc. In my min - just doesn’t sit right.
    Thanks

Are you paying your CMS contribution though?
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Are you paying your CMS contribution though?

For a 19 year old?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For a 19 year old?

Yep, it can be paid up until the 20th birthday nowadays. If the QC is still in non advanced education full time.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    As you say your son is OK with the arrangement, I can't see your problem.

If he'd told you that he wasn't happy about sharing this room, I could understand your question.

Maybe he can't admit to being unhappy with the living arrangements as he doesn't want to be the cause of an argument between Mum and Dad.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

if he was staying with you and wanted his 22 year old girlfriend to 'sleep over', in room with separate beds, would you allow that?
  • barbarawright
    Options
    If we all said it was inappropriate (and frankly, I would hate it if I was either of them), what would you do about it?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Maybe he can't admit to being unhappy with the living arrangements as he doesn't want to be the cause of an argument between Mum and Dad.
    Or maybe he's just telling the truth and really is OK with the arrangements......

If the OP suspected he wasn't happy, she's probably have said 'he says he's OK but I know he's not'.

And she says
    Rasharoon wrote: »
    Am I just being silly. I don’t think for a second anything is going on but privacy etc. In my min - just doesn’t sit right.
    Thanks
    I guess she means 'mind' so to me at least it sounds like the issue is in the OP's head.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yet another strange question for a newbie (let's hope they don't trip over the Ugg Boots LOL).

If real - as above, what is the issue?! I have no idea what you're asking. My friend was in a relationship with her step-brother for a while. It's not illegal. If they're not in a relationship, then I'm not sure what it's got to do with anyone else if the two of them are okay with it.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends on the people and family dynamics. On its own, then so long as they don't mind sharing, then that's fine.

Either of them have the option of sleeping on the sofa in the living room, so they must have chosen this arrangement over that for whatever reason.

For the record, in my family tree I have a couple where the parents met/married and each of them had a child they brought into the marriage - and those children married.
  • JayJay100
    Options
    I get it; as a parent it just doesn't 'feel' right. When you're bringing children up, you're expected to provide separate rooms for different sexes, as soon as you realistically can, and this, in a way, goes against that.

The reality is that they're both adults, and it's up to them how they handle this. It could just be a short term fix, or they've decided to give it a go, and see if it works. I'm pretty sure that one could sleep in the lounge if it didn't work out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure