Sharing Bedroom

Options

Comments

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If it's short term, it hasn't been mentioned. Can there be a division of the sexes. Dad goes with son and mum with daughter. If he, as he says, is ok with it, then that's fine.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rasharoon wrote: »
    I have a 19 year old Son who lives with his Dad and Step Mum
    His wife has a Daughter who is about 22
    They are having to share a bedroom

Forgive me for extracting the relevant point of your post. My thoughts;

* I doubt that your son will have any issue with this.

* If the girl has an issue she would have voiced an opinion by now.

* They are both adults and can easily make arrangements to live elsewhere is the arrangement did no suit them.

* Your son is now and adult. Unless he is vulnerable in some way, as already advised, this is not something that is a concern for you any more.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,835 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe look at this from a different viewpoint. Sharing a room with a young woman may actually make him see what is involved when you have an actual relationship with someone, you putting up with their habits, them putting up with yours, both good & bad. It may make him consider harder who he does actually get into a long term relationship with.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    suejb2 wrote: »
    If it's short term, it hasn't been mentioned. Can there be a division of the sexes. Dad goes with son and mum with daughter. If he, as he says, is ok with it, then that's fine.

I'm sorry, that seems just a daft way for 4 adults to make their sleeping arrangements. It's also something of an insult to the 2 young people concerned as it implies that they'll jump on each other if sharing a room (or that there's something wrong if they do).
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,006 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Yet another strange question for a newbie (let's hope they don't trip over the Ugg Boots LOL).

If real - as above, what is the issue?! I have no idea what you're asking. My friend was in a relationship with her step-brother for a while. It's not illegal. If they're not in a relationship, then I'm not sure what it's got to do with anyone else if the two of them are okay with it.
    It depends on the people and family dynamics. On its own, then so long as they don't mind sharing, then that's fine.

Either of them have the option of sleeping on the sofa in the living room, so they must have chosen this arrangement over that for whatever reason.

For the record, in my family tree I have a couple where the parents met/married and each of them had a child they brought into the marriage - and those children married.

Some websites suggest this is illegal eg the family tree forum says:
    Step-Relatives
    Step-relatives may marry provided they are at least 21 years of age. The younger of the couple must at no time before the age of 18 have lived in the same household as the older person. Neither must they have been treated as a child of the older person's family.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not have your son move in with you
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm sorry, that seems just a daft way for 4 adults to make their sleeping arrangements. It's also something of an insult to the 2 young people concerned as it implies that they'll jump on each other if sharing a room (or that there's something wrong if they do).

I did say if it were short term. I wasn't implying anything no need to be sorry Tabbytabitha
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,289 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Some websites suggest this is illegal eg the family tree forum says:

There is a better analysis at http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145.html

Which shows that there is no problem with step brother/uncle/nephew and thermals equivalent
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Like PasturesNew I also know of an instance where step brother/sister married. An elderly former neighbour of my parents was widowed with a daughter and married a widower with a son, in time son and daughter married.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm a bit bemused about all this talk of who can or can't marry.

I thought it was a simple case of a young adult male who currently lives in a flat with his own bedroom being agreeable to share that room with a young adult female.

I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a new hat in the circumstances described.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure