mechanic takes my car for a joy ride with his mates

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    They apologised, sacked the employee and giving you £3k refund...

...and all before seeing the massively detailed wide-angle footage.

And gawd forbid a Range Rover should be able to cope with speed bumps.
    You for real?
    Well, far be it from me to cast aspersions...
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    pelo wrote: »
    If this is right then I'd definitely tell the police just as an information thing. It'd get the details on record with them just in case any speeding fines etc come through.
    Obviously keep the footage and all conversations with the garage so there is 100 percent no chance anything the mechanic did could be attributed to OP.

NOT a police matter unless a crime was commited. Please dont waste their time.

If the fight was an actual fight and not just a verbal altercation then do report that as it is a crime.

£3k worth of work for free is pretty good compensation. I would be happy with that.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

If the fight was an actual fight and not just a verbal altercation then do report that as it is a crime.

£3k worth of work for free is pretty good compensation. I would be happy with that.

+1

The police wont be interested unless a crime as committed.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely a mechanic wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the dash cam on?

if its properly set up to record automatically and has no obvious indicator light that it is recording then sure.

if it was set up like that, then mechanic may have thought to leave it on and then delete the footage at the end of the free car hire because device will keep recording each and every time.

After weekend of driving the rover. monday comes and its time to go back to work. mechanic late for work so does everything in a hurry, forgets to reset the dashcam just after arriving at the delearship..
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 June 2017 at 9:56AM
    Options

I'm not greedy...

Should i report him to the police. Should i do anything else or claim for anything else?

what would you do?

Have you thought about arranging for the mechanic to be poked with !!!!!! sticks?

Joking aside - the dealership have put their hands up, admitted wrongdoing, dealt with it and refunded you £3,000. Whilst i am sure you are aggrieved this was down to one individual (and probably a process failure that allowed it to happen).
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

The vehicle was taken without the owner's consent. That is a crime.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Curious, i viewed the dash cam and the mechanic, had taken my car home, picked up his girlfriend, picked up his mates and had an evening out with my car, getting involved with a possible fight in Brixton and caused a fight outside a hospital, both incidents all in front of the car and on camera. What was risky is that both fights could have ended up on the car causing damage.
    OP, please post the footage online. Sounds like good viewing!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Surely a mechanic wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the dash cam on?
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, and it makes me doubt the entire story.

They don't employ mechanics, they employ young technicians on low wages and because it's a dirty job, they typically appeal to young lads who would otherwise be living on benefits. I doubt you'll find a proper mechanic in ANY car dealership.
    The theory from the suits point if view is that the diagnostics machine does away with needing expensive experienced mechanics.

There are plenty of videos out there showing dashcam footage of customer cars being taken for joyrides by dealership technicians.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    As stated already contact Police regarding reporting TWOC. Doesn't generate a crime report but does cover the OP if any reports are made about the technician using his car.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    I'd look forward to seeing the dash cam footage posted online too as without it, I don't think this ever happened.

Why would the Land Rover garage dismiss the mechanic involved immediately without any proof or investigation and risk an employment tribunal. Again, why would the garage refund £3000 worth of work without seeing the video evidence either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure