PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Mothership
    Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cast-Black-Steel-Baking-Stone/dp/B0001IWYFA/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1294269029&sr=1-2

this is the one she got me from amazon and its great, and she got me the little book of welsh bakestone recipes to go with it.

Yay! its not like the scottish griddle, it looks a better design. I ordered one, I had a few pennies saved. Thank you so much! I will wait till the planc arrives then make the welsh cakes, be sure to thank your mum from me. And tell her your spreading the word... Planc LOL! :T
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OK Im in - and i need to be as we are now down to one income so i need to budget better.

Im in for $200 for Jan as I plan to use up everything we have in the freezer and cupboards.

Good luck everyone and Happy New Year!

Pix
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • Mothership
    Options
    quintwins wrote: »
    all i can think of is lemmon curd, or lemon sponge

Great stuff! Thank you.

I made lemon curd years ago, I think you use only the yolks, I hope there's a recipe in the list, could probably make meringues with the whites, I've got some dislocated cocoanut.
    I also found a few tins of condensed milk too, could maybe do cocoanut ice as well.
    2nd Purse ££100
  • Mothership
    Options
    Hi you could try an mince your own meat, i remember my mum doing this many years ago in a mincer like this one :)

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/meat-mincer/F/C/preparing-food/C/preparing-food-mills-grinders-mincers/product/10118

Now there's a thought, I've got a collection of antique mincers, there's an enameled one, do you think It would be safe to use? Any idea how I could sterilise it? Its in really good nick, and bolts onto the work surface. OOOh! I'm going to get it down and try it LOL. Now what could I mince...
    2nd Purse ££100
  • LittleMissHappy_2
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

I had my first grocery spend this year today and this is what I got

milk x 2 - £2
    apple juice - 67p
    marg (1kg) - £2.50
    juice for lunch boxes - £1.28
    jam - 84p
    chicken slices - £3
    philly - 82p (1/2 price)
    toms (1kg) - £2
    nann (whoopsied) - 29p
    f/r eggs (9) - £1.50
    bananas - £1.34
    juice - 63p
    houmous x 2 - £1.50
    cucumber - 75p (:o)
    bread x 2 - £1.50
    sugar - £1.34
    crisps - £2.49
    bread (whoopsied) - 45p
    chamomile tea - 99p

Grand total of £25.89 (I think - have had a glass of wine, though!). Also got some 50p wrapping paper, childrens xmas cards (x 5 pks) 87p for 24 and some ribbons and bows for 37p per bag full plus 342 :D This is not counted as a grocery spend as it will be a saving for xmas and will add it to xmas spend (when I work out the budget for next xmas :o)

Have meal planned for the rest of the week so combined with what I have in already this should be enough until I do a monthly shop to be delivered next Tuesday (sharing with sister so only paying minimal amount for delivery and saves petrol, faffing etc!)

Have already updated my signature. I know my previous spends pw have been around £100, but am doing 2010 costings tomorrow and am a bit scared of what I might find :eek: - well, we live and learn and am sorting it now which is the main thing :j

Babble over, hope you are all doing well

Happy x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • janie-h
    janie-h Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    hi All :wave:

1st grocery shop of the month/year today. £29.32 in A**i. Did very well - loads of veg and tinned goodies, fruit, cheese, marg, butter, eggs, pizzas, bread, cod, lamb and mince.

Will update sig and see you all again soon
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2011 at 1:11AM
    Options
    Mothership wrote: »
    Now there's a thought, I've got a collection of antique mincers, there's an enameled one, do you think It would be safe to use? Any idea how I could sterilise it? Its in really good nick, and bolts onto the work surface. OOOh! I'm going to get it down and try it LOL. Now what could I mince...
    I'd take it apart and put the bits in the cutlery basket of the dishwasher-or you could boil the bits in boiling water for 5 minutes-that will sterilize them. No reason it won't be safe to use-just ensure no rust or flaky paint-give a good clean and you are away! If things seem a bit dry you can always put a smear of cooking oil on the parts.
    you made me smile at the dislocated cocoanut-I know you mean dessicated coconut! Good luck with it all! I used to mince my meat but not done so for years-it is the best way to know what goes into your mince though!:)
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • kahunababy
    kahunababy Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all, I was wondering if I could join please. I would like to work off £250 for Jan please. This is for me, my DH and my 2 DS (6&3). My month runs from 1st - 31st.

I have tried the GC once before in Nov and came in slightly over budget but decided to wait until the new year to get cracking properly. This month has been a little topsey turvey already, I have my best friend and her 2 DS coming to visit tomorrow for 6 days so my Christmas still isnt over! I have promised myself I will get sorted and start knuckling down once they have left.

My DH is also leaving on Sunday and will be away for 6 weeks so that should save us some pennies. I have already done a couple of shops but don't really seem to have much in. I did stock up on a lot of cleaning stuff before the VAT went up though.

I really like the idea of doing a Jan box someone mentioned earlier (sorry can't remember the name). It got me thinking, If I could stock up a little each month between now and June on tins/packets meat/bread/milk to be frozen then I might be able to make it through June by only spending on fresh fruit & veg which would make June a shopping free month. Does this sound like a crazy idea? I don't mean to go mad, just pick up the odd bit on offer or if I get something BOGOF then put the "free" one away for the June box. Ah well, if it works then I will do it again for Jan.

I have also started a Christmas book for 2011!!!! I have dedicated a page to each of my DS and started writing down some presents (the ones they get every year i.e PJ's, Sweets, Socks etc). I plan on buying these throughout the year and crossing them off as they are bought. I also have a page for the Christmas bits and bobs i.e wrapping paper, crackers etc. Hopefully this will mean that I won't panic buy in Nov & Dec and end up paying extortionate prices like I did last year. I must go and try to get some reduced wrapping paper sometime this weekend.

Before I leave just wanted to say thanks for all the help & tips I have got off this thread. I am trying really hard to pay off some debts this year and give us some breathing space and the GC will really help me get underway.

Thanks
    Just little old me!
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2011 at 2:22AM
    Options
    I'd take it apart and put the bits in the cutlery basket of the dishwasher-or you could boil the bits in boiling water for 5 minutes-that will sterilize them. No reason it won't be safe to use-just ensure no rust or flaky paint-give a good clean and you are away! If things seem a bit dry you can always put a smear of cooking oil on the parts.
    you made me smile at the dislocated cocoanut-I know you mean dessicated coconut! Good luck with it all! I used to mince my meat but not done so for years-it is the best way to know what goes into your mince though!:)

Thank you! I had a look at it, I think you may be right, the others look well dodgy, one is cast iron, this one is green enamel and probably isn't as old as the others. What cut do you think would be best minced ? I've never minced meat before, though I can remember my granny doing it.
    I can see me going back to the old ways, I'm halfway there already. This thread has really brought me down to earth, and I just love all the posters they all have such lovely manners, and are so keen to help each other.

I don't believe i actually wrote dislocated, I've always called it that LOL, but usually manage to spot it, its just as well folk here cant hear me I'm Mrs Spoonerism he he, I told my family they were having craple rumble for pudding or scunge and pustard.
    Profato titters, !!!! !!!!!!, (OOPS! pop corn) just some of the foody ones.
    My favourites has to be oudourarm deunderant, and naughtybiantics.
    I once called my best friend a busty nagger, she is too and the other way round LOL.
    Or my friend deals in shocks and stares. I once asked for a ducky lip.
    And I thanked my friends father for floovering all the !!!!!s! (OOPS!AGAIN! hoovering all the floors)
    My family and friends don't bat an eye now.
    I only know if I've said something funny if they burst out laughing.
    Oh aye and I'm married to Mr Malaprop, never a dull moment in this house LOL.
    2nd Purse ££100
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    bramble1 wrote: »
    Is it really more expensive? :( I was hoping to make fresh pasta once a week instead of buying the dried stuff.

HEEEELP! my daughter gave me a pasta machine for xmas, but there's no instructions with it, it has two roller thingys one flat and one with little blades. Also need a recipe. Can anyone help me? :eek:
    2nd Purse ££100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business