PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    SilverCo wrote: »
    Thanks bramble1 both sound lovely and no, doesn't have to be SC. Could you let me have recipes for both if possible?

Mrs Mc - your dish sounds great too, look forward to recipe!

Managed a whole day without spending any GC money and still sticking to the meal plan - what a good day!! :)

Silver x

let me dig out the recipes for you!
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • gdyr1945
    gdyr1945 Posts: 58 Forumite
    posted yesterday but seems to have diappeared. Feeling better today; more in control again (I hope).

Have started a list of freezer contents but gave up half way through as was frozen myself!

Was very naughty November and December and didn't keep check on spending having done really well up to then. Have paid off all cc bills so things not too bad but must get back on track.

Will finish listing freezer contents and start on meal plans for month tomorrow. Sure I have enough frozen veg and meat to last to end of Jan and hopefully will only need fresh fruit and milk.

I find on line shopping much easier when budgeting as there are fewer tempations of the 'Oh that looks interesting/tastey/never had that before' type. Going through 'Moneysupermarket' Mrt is always the cheapest for the things I want. I don't have a problem with NSDs as any shops are at least a 15 -20mins drive away and we don't use the car unless we need to do several things at the same time. I have a bus pass but no buses to use it on except when on holiday or visiting London (£1 each way on Nat Exp).

Good luck everyone. I feel confident with all the help, advice and support there is on this fantastic site that 2011 will be a good year for saving money. Last year I managed to control my spending enough to enable us to have a couple of holidays and I hope/intend to do the same this year.
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Hello everyone, long time no see! Bit later joining this month, but can I please be put down for £85 for January? Of this I have so far spent £6.32, on just grocery bits for the food I needed to get in for this week.

Away to get caught up now.
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 6 January 2011 at 12:19AM
    I noticed the 'A' when I went to Mr T today (to buy some mince to make burgers tonight, because I forgot to defrost mince!). £2.34 spent. Mixed with garam masala, the rest of the leftover coriander, chilli sauce, garlic and grated onion. I've got a lot on at work tomorrow so it's sat in the fridge for a quick meal with salad and wraps for dinner. Tonight my flatmate is cooking :D

I went through my receipts and I rarely have VAT payable products except for dishwasher tablets, bathroom/kitchen products (I've got a good store of these though) and toiletries (but I've got enough shower gel from Xmas presents for the next few months!)
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • minnie2 wrote: »
    Hi this is only my second ever post so appologies - just started a frugal challenge also today. I would like to join the grocery challenge - however there seems to be a lot of do's and donts with regards to posting on here! Can some one just sum up what i need to write on here please. I havent bought any food or actually anything really for many days since Christmas as we literally have no money this month. I am owed alot of wages that are yet to appear. So do they count as no spend days etc?
    Some guidence would be greatly appreciated!!!!

my budget is trying to reduce from £395 monthly to £155 monthly

Just write down whatever you do. It could be what you spent or it could be something you have made. The days you have not spent money(for whatever reason)do count as nsd's(no spending days)
    Do feel free to ask as many questions as you like-that is what we all love about this forum.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    minnie2 wrote: »
    Hi this is only my second ever post so appologies - just started a frugal challenge also today. I would like to join the grocery challenge - however there seems to be a lot of do's and donts with regards to posting on here! Can some one just sum up what i need to write on here please. ...

there aren't really any dos and donts about posting except that posts should include grocery shopping/money saving or recipes just to keep it on topic :D

you decide on your budget, include whatever you like - my budget is for all food/cleaning/laundry but some people have separate budgets for celebrations, eating out, pets etc, do it whichever way suits you best, and you can record your budget, spends and NSD's in your signature if you would like to

go to Quick Links on the green bar above and select Edit Signature ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • booskyeboo wrote: »
    Hi
    I had a NSD yesterday, have spent £12.89 on fruit, dried fruit and nuts, ( does anyone know of any where that sells dried fruit and nuts a bit cheaper I have bought some from H&B today, I have also bought them from the supermarket in the past) I will go and update signature.:o

sometimes aldis sell different dried nuts and fruit I have seen the food doctor (i think thats what they are called) in there cheaper or their own brand of them.
  • My spend so far is £46.33 on my main shop for the week and an extra £2 on milk. Co-op still had that great offer on milk two 4pints of milk for £2. We seem to go through milk like anything and it usually isn't that cheap.
    GC 2015: Aug £272.21 /£300 Sept £112.41 /£300

NSD Aug: 6/12 Sept: 3 /10
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    OMG I fell off again! I should really know better, as I always spend less in a month when I'm on here, getting ideas and support, but still I fail! I haven't made any new year's resolutions this year, as I always give up after a few days, however, I am determined to make 2011 the year when I sort out my grocery shopping.

I always stockpile stuff when it's on offer, which, while it seems like a sensible thing to do, I often stockpile stuff that I don't use very often, so it ends up going out of date ... I am very fortunate to have a pantry in my kitchen, which is rather large, and should be big enough for all my food, but I have spilt over into the cupboard under the stairs, and now I don't know what I've got. Aim number one, to work out what I use the most, therefore am allowed to stockpile when on offer. Aim number two, to whittle down supplies so that all food can be kept in the pantry.

Feel better for having got that off my chest!!

Please can I be put down for £150 for January. This is for me, dd(5) ds(4), a cat, 2 guinea pigs and a boyfriend who comes every weekend, sometimes every other weekend.

First tick of the new year - went to the co-op which is opposite my work to save going to a bigger shop where i always spend to much. Needed bread and milk, and came out with bread and milk! Don't think I have EVER done that before! Woop Woop!!

Sorry for going on for so long, but I have been MIA since March!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Tracey2609 wrote: »
    I've been reading through the threads, and found alot of comments about people splitting their shopping between different stores... Certainly in my area I have to drive to any of the main supermarkets and occasionally send my son to the local shop for the odd pint of milk. In the main I try to be "good" and only go food shopping once a week and on a full stomach! - I really overspend if I shop when I'm hungry! But my question is, is it worth splitting the shopping like this? Does the amount of money saved outweigh the extra cost in fuel? Thanks!

On payday I finish work get picked up by OH on his way home go to asda and then do aldis on the way home as we go past it, I have a spreadsheet which has my menu plan and ingredients list which I use a pivot table to convert in to a shopping list then I sort it by asda, aldi or butchers. its very geeky but suits me down to the ground. my butchers is local so I walk up there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure