PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

High risk of surface water flooding

Options
Roxanna319
Roxanna319 Posts: 18 Forumite
edited 20 October 2019 at 10:47PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello,
FTB here. A concern has cropped up - a search has come back stating it is a high risk area for surface water flooding (this risk area is within their 25m search).
The property itself is not within the risk area, as it is OUTSIDE of the risk, but immediately adjacent to it. I imagine this is because the house I am buying is elevated slightly above the road level (by at least 0.5m not sure of exact difference). A check of the Natural Resources Wales mapping assumptions also states that properties / areas out of the coloured risk areas are LOW risk. Therefore - the house is unlikely to flood?? I’ve checked insurance and it’s fine for cover.

It’s at risk of surface water flooding that as far as I am aware (awaiting confirmation) has never actually flooded (it is however confirmed up until 2015 that it had never flooded as stated in the council Flood Risk Management Plan)- not flooded there yet anyway. FRMP also says that this area is less risk than elsewhere in the general area but it may flood in the future should there be extensive rainfall. Climate change etc.

The search company state that they highly recommend further research of the risk which will cost £99 +VAT. As the house is out of the actual risk, is there actually any value in that? I’m not sure that the survey would tell me me much more than I already know will it? £120 for the biggest purchase of our lives is nothing obviously. But wondered if anyone had got this additional information and what did it provide you?

Would you be wary of buying this house? I’m actually not put off. There must be tons of houses in this same predicament, right? Surface water experts I work with also mirror my thoughts (I.e. if insurance is okay and it ticks so many other boxes then don’t let it put you off) I realise this risk will be received differently by various people. And I’m not looking to negotiate the price based on something like this.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you work with surface water experts, what additional expertise do you expert us to provide about surface water? Surely basic laws of physics apply here ie if you're higher up than the areas likely to flood, that means you're less likely to flood.
  • Roxanna319
    Options
    Yeah. Thanks for that. :|

Additional expertise i asked for, is what actually does the additional surveys do to help out in a situation such as this? A balanced answer might be helpful.

Experts deal with large engineering developments. But yes it’s much the same in terms of like you say.
  • freeof1
    freeof1 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    We were in a similar position. FTB and the mortgage offer letter came back approving the loan but saying it was in a high risk flood zone which might affect future saleability.

We ended up pulling out although not without much deliberation. It was only a few months ago and we still haven't purchased.

In our case the government maps had it as high risk for surface water flooding but low risk for river flooding, which was bizarre because it was right next to a lake! The homeserve report we got (which I think is similar to the one you're talking about) said it was low risk for surface water and medium risk for river flood.

From our perspective it wasn't so much the risk of it actually flooding (those maps are models based on data etc but are not a perfect science) but rather we just couldn't risk being unable to sell the house in the future. If the next buyers got the same type of letter we did from their lender then it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to think twice about it too, and perhaps ultimately pull out just as we did.

We're 3 months on and very relieved we didn't purchase the house. It's hard to advise you what to do but just bear in mind you may face problems selling it in the future as you'll eliminate most risk averse buyers.
  • Roxanna319
    Options
    Thank you. Good to know. I will await what the lender says and make a decision from there. Although as it’s not within the zone of risk itself, it might not be picked up quite so strongly by them as yours was.
    But you are right that either way, it would put off those that are particularly risk adverse when it comes to selling later down the line. There was a previous buyer earlier this year and they pulled out as they “changed their mind”. Makes me wonder now if this was the reason.
  • freeof1
    freeof1 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Buyers pull out for various reasons and you never really know the whole truth, so I wouldn't read into it!
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had the same. Was the survey with Homeserve/Landmark?

My property is at the bottom of a valley on one side, and a small slope the other. I have Moderate to High risk of flooding.

Both side of my house are up a step (i.e. the door is not on the ground). However my garage is. The worst I've had is that on very very strong rain, water goes down my drive and doesn't flow through the drain fast enough (likely because leaves and such are in the way!) so sometimes I get puddles outside which then gets into the garage.

There has been no claims for flood damage at my property (according to the property information document) and in the 3 years I've lived there I've never had any issues.

I didn't bother paying £99+VAT for the extra check.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Roxanna319 wrote: »
    I will await what the lender says
    Is the question even going to the lender? You're not talking about a search which lenders routinely demand.
  • sillyhilly
    Options
    freeof1 wrote: »
    In our case the government maps had it as high risk for surface water flooding but low risk for river flooding, which was bizarre because it was right next to a lake!

Because a lake isn't a river?

Similar situation to you OP. Our neighbours land had a 'risk' of surface water flooding. I emailed the Environmental Agency to get further up-to-date, historical and detailed information regarding the risk of surface water flooding. As part of that contact, it was downgraded to a very low (<0.1%) risk.

Generally speaking, the risks are based on geography, topography etc and not physical facts (i.e. whether the land is concreted / grass) so the survey you had done (and the map that you can find online) is likely to be inaccurate.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Roxanna319 wrote: »
    FTB here. A concern has cropped up - a search has come back stating it is a high risk area for surface water flooding (this risk area is within their 25m search).
    The property itself is not within the risk area, as it is OUTSIDE of the risk, but immediately adjacent to it. I imagine this is because the house I am buying is elevated slightly above the road level (by at least 0.5m not sure of exact difference). A check of the Natural Resources Wales mapping assumptions also states that properties / areas out of the coloured risk areas are LOW risk. Therefore - the house is unlikely to flood?? I’ve checked insurance and it’s fine for cover.
    The search is telling you that the general area is at risk.

Three people may have an opinion on that.
    1. You. But you've satisfied yourself that it's unlikely to be a big issue, because it's raised up.
    2. Insurers. They currently have no issue, but that may change in the future.
    3. Lenders.
  • Roxanna319
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Is the question even going to the lender? You're not talking about a search which lenders routinely demand.

Yes it is. Solicitor stated that they need to make the lender aware “to see if they have any proposals”.
    Not sure if this is routine or not. The solicitor said “I am concerned about the flood report, please ensure that you read the attach report and confirm how you wish to proceed”.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure