Toilet training Turkish Kangal

Hey, I'm after a bit of advice/help please.
A friend has a turkish kangal puppy, 13 weeks old. They live in an upstairs flat - the dog never poos in the flat but she wee's on the floor the whole time. He was reluctant to use puppy pads as 'we' felt it might encourage the weeing on the floor.
Has anyone got any advice on how to combat the wet puddle problem?
I have a lab and can never remember having this problem, I'm sure he used to squeak at the back door to be let out

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    anna_1977 wrote: »
    A friend has a turkish kangal puppy, 13 weeks old. They live in an upstairs flat - the dog never poos in the flat but she wee's on the floor the whole time. He was reluctant to use puppy pads as 'we' felt it might encourage the weeing on the floor.
    I have a lab and can never remember having this problem, I'm sure he used to squeak at the back door to be let out

A very large breed dog in an upstairs flat? Well that can't possibly go wrong.

I'm not sure how a puppy is supposed to know it has to 'squeak' at a door to a corridor if it wants a wee without any training?
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Not my dog or flat but yes it'll be interesting!! The living accommodation is only a temporary thing

I was after advice on the training side to 'help' that happen
  • There is loads of info on the internet about how to toilet train a puppy. Google is your friend!
    yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift thats why its called the present ;)
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You have to watch the puppy like a hawk. As soon as he starts to sniff or circle, you need to pick him up and take him outside to the toilet.
    Also after playtime and eating, you should take him out. You need to have a key word, mine was 'go wee's', keep saying it and when he has been to toilet, give him lots of praise and treats.
    With my cocker spaniel pup, I was out nearly every hour. It was hell and I did not enjoy one bit, however this is only short term as eventually the pup will get it. At the end of the day they don't like doing toilet where they sleep/play/eat.

I also introduced a bell, I have some bells hung by the back door. Everytime I went out I knocked the puppy on to the bell and said 'go wee'.

This was the worst part of puppy training. However the end results are well worth it. My dog now goes to the back door and knocks the bell, I let him out and he goes to the toilet. He is a little monkey and uses the bell to go out and play, but I don't mind as he is at least now toilet trained.

I do not envy anyone in a flat that has to do this. As you have to be pretty quick, literally pick him up and run out. Otherwise they will have an accident on the way.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As above ^

Also, it's great the puppy instinctively doesn't want to poo indoors as shows the dog is inherently clean and not "ruined" in terms of toilet training (like some pups from puppy farms that learn to do their business in the same room as they sleep). So it's all about rewarding appropriate toiletting and - at this age - ignoring incorrect toileting as you don't want to create an anxiety. Many resources on line with detailed explanations.

I agree in principle with not using puppy pads, but we did use them for a few weeks with our terrier, because he'd go in the night even with regular pee breaks I'd always miss one! Also, we got our pup mid winter and he was only 2kg so not always suitable to run him out into the torrential rain! I never rewarded him for using a pad though; it was there for MY convenience, not for the dog's learning. We rewarded correct toileting like it was the best trick in the world. At that age they just want to please lol. When he was about 15 weeks we just removed the pad entirely and by then he had more obvious signs of needing to go + could hold through the night. We had very few accidents after that and he was fully clean, including marking behaviour, by 5 months.
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Soot2006 wrote: »
    As above ^

Also, it's great the puppy instinctively doesn't want to poo indoors as shows the dog is inherently clean and not "ruined" in terms of toilet training (like some pups from puppy farms that learn to do their business in the same room as they sleep). So it's all about rewarding appropriate toiletting and - at this age - ignoring incorrect toileting as you don't want to create an anxiety. Many resources on line with detailed explanations.

I agree in principle with not using puppy pads, but we did use them for a few weeks with our terrier, because he'd go in the night even with regular pee breaks I'd always miss one! Also, we got our pup mid winter and he was only 2kg so not always suitable to run him out into the torrential rain! I never rewarded him for using a pad though; it was there for MY convenience, not for the dog's learning. We rewarded correct toileting like it was the best trick in the world. At that age they just want to please lol. When he was about 15 weeks we just removed the pad entirely and by then he had more obvious signs of needing to go + could hold through the night. We had very few accidents after that and he was fully clean, including marking behaviour, by 5 months.

Yes that's very true and worth highlighting 'ignoring incorrect toileting' - never tell the puppy off as it will cause more issue and become scared. Simply clean up and ignore, make sure you clean up properly as the smell will encourage him to go again.
    We got ours mid winter and I remember being outside in really bad weather saying 'go wee' lol - its was tough times :rotfl:
    We tried the puppy pads, but mine was a little monkey and liked to shred them.

I think if you reward well (treats & praise), it seems to help.
  • anna_1977
    thanks for the advice. I'm just pleased it's not my puppy either (it's my OH's flatmate) in a flat!!

She's much better this week than last. Friend has taken advice on not telling her off for accidents and she gets rewards when weeing outside

Found a great carpet spray to clean up any accidents with a smell to detract them from more accidents - thankfully lots of lino flooring
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    anna_1977 wrote: »

Maybe you lived in a house where the dog would know that the door leads to outdoors? This poor dog can only detect indoor smells, no wonder she doesn't know where to pee.

I guess your friends are going to get very fit running up and down stairs every 5 mins, and hopefully they'll be moving very soon. It's a shame they couldn't wait before buying such a mammoth dog.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • anna_1977
    Maybe you lived in a house where the dog would know that the door leads to outdoors? This poor dog can only detect indoor smells, no wonder she doesn't know where to pee.

I guess your friends are going to get very fit running up and down stairs every 5 mins, and hopefully they'll be moving very soon. It's a shame they couldn't wait before buying such a mammoth dog.

Yes there was the back door which certainly makes life much easier.

Pretty sad story with the puppy but basically she was going to be sold to a family that ultimately would have trained her as a guard dog and clipped her ears (as they have with their other kangals). it was a matter of taking her then or leaving her for the other family as the breeder wanted her gone.

The flat will only be for the next couple of weeks, he's signed a lease for a house today which will help. Just a question of his struggling through till then!

Bearing in mind the size she is already at this age I don't envy any of the future training to come when she's fully grown!!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Make sure they are using a deodoriser to clean up the wees. You can get them in any pet shop or online.

Using a disinfectant is no good as the ammonia smell that is left behind attracts the pup as it smells like wee.

A solution of biological washing powder also works.

You need to soak a carpet then blot dry ( cover the area with newspaper and stand on it to squeeze the wet out) as any wee will have penetrated to the back of the carpet and the underlay. Spraying on top won't remove the smell from underneath.

A 13 week old puppy is baby and like a human baby often don't realise they need to go until the last minute. It is a case of catching him at the appropriate time.

Watching the puppy all the time she will begin to recognise the signs of him needing to go. Then she needs to get him out immediately and wait with him until he goes.

If she takes him out a regular times he will learn to go at these times.

My friend successfully trained a GSD pup that way. She took him out first thing, and then at regular intervals throughout the day, the same time each day. She also had a months old baby to organise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure