Ex Wife trying yet again to bleed him dry. URGENT

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All I can think is that she must be a very sad/heartbroken, bitter/vindictive woman to insist on her half of the 51p per month...

She maybe has her reasons, we don't know.

You have 2 options:

1. pay up the £250 and wish her well spending it. :D

2. Ignore and let her become even more bitter/sad chasing the final drop in the ocean as far as the divorce settlement is concerned.

Depends entirely on the circumstances surrounding the divorce, which we are not privy to, as to which avenue I would suggest.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ignore her.

It will cost her more in solicitor fees than she will get.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    Salutary lesson I think. Any monetary discussions keep to yourselves in future!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    All I can think is that she must be a very sad/heartbroken, bitter/vindictive woman to insist on her half of the 51p per month...

She maybe has her reasons, we don't know.

You have 2 options:

1. pay up the £250 and wish her well spending it. :D

2. Ignore and let her become even more bitter/sad chasing the final drop in the ocean as far as the divorce settlement is concerned.

Depends entirely on the circumstances surrounding the divorce, which we are not privy to, as to which avenue I would suggest.
    I'm not 'up' on divorce but it sounds odd (and a little unfair) for the wife to get virtually everything - half his pension, the house and ALL its value and contents.

My friend's ex left her for another woman - my friend had 2 kids of school age.
    She did get half his pensions (from the date of the start of the relationship) but he forced the sale of the house and I believe the split was 60/40 to her.
    She was a stay-at-home Mum with a 5 hour a week job.

I agree the ex sounds particularly vindictive and petty - and in the same position I'd probably let her have the £250. Doing so without any argument would probably be exactly what she doesn't want.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    That's not what she's going to believe. All she knows is that she has heard about some money which should have been declared during the divorce, but wasnt, and will wonder what else has been withheld.

I agree with this. You say your partner left with nothing, well that would have been his fault really, he would have agreed to the terms of the divorce at the time, he was pretty silly really to agree to it if it left him with nothing at all. Your partner should speak to a solicitor regarding the forgotten pension, ignoring her isn't going to work as she knows about it now.

I wouldn't take her side but i feel that if she thinks he's hidden this then there could be something else he's "forgotten" to tell her about.
  • linclass
    linclass Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    I agree with this. You say your partner left with nothing, well that would have been his fault really, he would have agreed to the terms of the divorce at the time, he was pretty silly really to agree to it if it left him with nothing at all. Your partner should speak to a solicitor regarding the forgotten pension, ignoring her isn't going to work as she knows about it now.

I wouldn't take her side but i feel that if she thinks he's hidden this then there could be something else he's "forgotten" to tell her about.

The reason he left with nothing was, and many Fathers would feel the same, was to ensure his children - that you don't stop loving when divorcing - had a secure roof over their heads. My partner will be seeing a Solicitor just for guidance. As stated earlier, the Ex fully controlled everything financial. He wasn't at the job for long, and really didn't know about this pension until the letter from that company arrived.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    linclass wrote: »
    The reason he left with nothing was, and many Fathers would feel the same, was to ensure his children had a secure roof over their heads.

That's normally covered by the ex and the children being allowed to stay in the house until the youngest child reaches 18 or finishes uni after which the house is sold and the money shared between the parents.
  • linclass
    linclass Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    That's normally covered by the ex and the children being allowed to stay in the house until the youngest child reaches 18 or finishes uni after which the house is sold and the money shared between the parents.

Yeppppppp,
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I strongly suggest your partner STOPs discussing any thing money relate with any one except you, and you keep fully stum.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    So when the youngest child finishes full-time education, the ex-wife will either have to buy him out or sell the house?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure