Is Skype the cheapest international VoIP-to-landline for casual use?

Options
I've been looking for cheap VoIP providers to call landlines internationally, from anywhere in the world via the internet. This is for casual personal use, not for business — usually less than two hours per month.

The only reasonably-priced service that I can find is good old Skype.

I've found full-featured services such as Vonage. Although their per-minute pricing is great, even free, the monthly fee exceeds what I'd spend using Skype, plus there's a set-up charge. (I don't need their extra features such as a separate phone number or voicemail.)

So, is Skype really the cheapest for casual personal use? Or do you know a cheaper service?

Thank you
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. (Anon.)

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been looking for cheap VoIP providers to call landlines internationally, from anywhere in the world via the internet.

Skype PAYG 2.1p/min

Sipgate 1.18 p/min UK landline, 9.90 p/min UK mobile inc VAT. And you get a UK 'landline' number and voicemail for incoming calls free. No monthly charge.

Links on the Sipgate website to download Zoiper pre-configured if you need an app.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Paddy_Landau
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, Sipgate also has a monthly fee, and is more expensive than Vonage for international calls (depending on volume).

I also found The VOIP Shop, which (from what I can tell) is significantly cheaper than Sipgate or Vonage. But still a touch more than Skype for my casual needs.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, Sipgate also has a monthly fee, and is more expensive than Vonage for international calls (depending on volume).

I also found The VOIP Shop, which (from what I can tell) is significantly cheaper than Sipgate or Vonage. But still a touch more than Skype for my casual needs.

Only if you buy a Call Package, Sipgate Basic is PAYG. Been using it for nearly 15 years.

https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/tour
  • Paddy_Landau
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Sipgate Basic is PAYG.
    Hmm, somehow I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out!

I've installed it and set it up. How cool that it has a free UK number!
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I looked at sipgate myself but found VOIPblazer to be cheaper.

I use VOIPBlazer which is PAYG. The price to mobiles is £0.009/min and to landlines it's £0.007/min.

If you had posted which country specifically you wanted to call it would of helped narrow it down.

To USA landlines it's £ 0.009 and the same to Australian landlines.

These are all less than 1p/minute, it is correct.

The biggest downside for me is that it does not support encryption so theoretically anyone with suitable knownledge could easily listen to the calls.
  • Paddy_Landau
    Paddy_Landau Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for VOIPBlazer. I'll check it out.

As I'm calling landlines, encryption is irrelevant. But this is for personal use; I'm not discussing any state secrets or company secrets!

I am interested in several countries, including USA, South Africa, Cyprus, France.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure