Forum Home» Phones & TV

Is Skype the cheapest international VoIP-to-landline for casual use?

New Post Advanced Search

Is Skype the cheapest international VoIP-to-landline for casual use?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
6 replies 1.5K views
Paddy_LandauPaddy_Landau Forumite
36 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
I've been looking for cheap VoIP providers to call landlines internationally, from anywhere in the world via the internet. This is for casual personal use, not for business — usually less than two hours per month.

The only reasonably-priced service that I can find is good old Skype.

I've found full-featured services such as Vonage. Although their per-minute pricing is great, even free, the monthly fee exceeds what I'd spend using Skype, plus there's a set-up charge. (I don't need their extra features such as a separate phone number or voicemail.)

So, is Skype really the cheapest for casual personal use? Or do you know a cheaper service?

Thank you
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. (Anon.)

Replies

• Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been looking for cheap VoIP providers to call landlines internationally, from anywhere in the world via the internet.

Skype PAYG 2.1p/min

Sipgate 1.18 p/min UK landline, 9.90 p/min UK mobile inc VAT. And you get a UK 'landline' number and voicemail for incoming calls free. No monthly charge.

Links on the Sipgate website to download Zoiper pre-configured if you need an app.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, Sipgate also has a monthly fee, and is more expensive than Vonage for international calls (depending on volume).

I also found The VOIP Shop, which (from what I can tell) is significantly cheaper than Sipgate or Vonage. But still a touch more than Skype for my casual needs.
  • Inner_ZoneInner_Zone Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, Sipgate also has a monthly fee, and is more expensive than Vonage for international calls (depending on volume).

I also found The VOIP Shop, which (from what I can tell) is significantly cheaper than Sipgate or Vonage. But still a touch more than Skype for my casual needs.

Only if you buy a Call Package, Sipgate Basic is PAYG. Been using it for nearly 15 years.

https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/tour
  • Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Sipgate Basic is PAYG.
    Hmm, somehow I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out!

I've installed it and set it up. How cool that it has a free UK number!
  • A.Penny.SavedA.Penny.Saved Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at sipgate myself but found VOIPblazer to be cheaper.

I use VOIPBlazer which is PAYG. The price to mobiles is £0.009/min and to landlines it's £0.007/min.

If you had posted which country specifically you wanted to call it would of helped narrow it down.

To USA landlines it's £ 0.009 and the same to Australian landlines.

These are all less than 1p/minute, it is correct.

The biggest downside for me is that it does not support encryption so theoretically anyone with suitable knownledge could easily listen to the calls.
  • Thank you for VOIPBlazer. I'll check it out.

As I'm calling landlines, encryption is irrelevant. But this is for personal use; I'm not discussing any state secrets or company secrets!

I am interested in several countries, including USA, South Africa, Cyprus, France.