£99 deposit on fuel.

Options

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unbelievably, the media seem to have it correct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44052530

If you believe it, it seems that if you only have £30, they can put a hold on the £30 and limit you to £30 maximum of fuel.

I find it rather hard to believe, when it takes several days for a simple chip & pin payment request to come out of my bank account...
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem with the advice to go to the kiosk is that several Asdas are unmanned so no kiosk. They do tend to be the cheapest in the area too.

The only thing for Twuncle to do is boycott Asda.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    The problem with the advice to go to the kiosk is that several Asdas are unmanned so no kiosk. They do tend to be the cheapest in the area too.

The only thing for Twuncle to do is boycott Asda.
    Or learn to manage his money better. As adults are supposed to be able to do.
  • its_all_over
    its_all_over Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    OK a downpayment then ?
    a deposit is :
    "A sum payable as a first installment on the purchase of something or as a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later."
    or
    "A returnable sum payable on the hire or rental of something, to cover possible loss or damage."
    I am guessing that the second one covers it ....

No, I'm sure that it is a simple authorisation on the account, just like when you buy groceries from online shopping and they do an authorisation that ringfences funds until the actual delivery is done by the company.

I'm sure I've already read a thread on this forum about this.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it's great news. It'll stop thick people using Asda for petrol. Less queues at my local.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And people who put only £5 worth of petrol in the tank.

No wonder there are queues at all fuel stations if drivers are bothering with such piddling amounts.:cool:
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2018 at 10:04PM
    Options
    2e0arr wrote: »
    I took out a John Lewis Credit card so far no problem with John Lewis.
    However i put some petrol in at a Tesco garage. The first pump tried was pay at pump only. inserted the credit card and used the wrong pin number. The pump rejected the card. Saw an assistant asked to move to other pump to pay in kiosk. all ok
    Later in the evening checked online and a £1 extra on pending. called in to John Lewis and they said the first pump had charged £1 on the card.
    Not knowing why this happened at the time I revisited the garage no real answer and after more calls to John Lewis the charge disappeared at about 1 am in the morning. Their system had temporarily charged £1 to my credit card for an unathorised transaction (incorrect pin), causing me stress and anxiety that it had been skimmed or i was a fraud id theft victim.
    Awaiting result of complaint with Tesco Retail
    Oh the irony LOLOL
    in another thread posting I posted the quoted LOL
    The latest after contacting the Tesco ceo I was unhappy with the response.
    Also unhappy with John Lewis credit card they were unable to explain or understand.
    Tesco or John Lewis didnt know what it was and couldnt explain what they didnt know about and Id had 5 hours shutting bricks till it disappeared.
    So I contacted the FOS who asked is there a warning on the pump or in the petrol station ?
    I returned that evening and took a picture of the pump and spoke to same supervisor, she didnt know what it was and couldnt explain what she didnt know.

THERE WAS NOT A WARNING

I called FOS back who suggested I report Tesco retail to trading standards via CAB which I have done.
    The FOS advised I complain to John Lewis credit cards, which I have through the FOS.
    Not sure how trading standards will pan out.

It passes a reasonableness test that the customer should be informed and warned that their available credit will be reduced and their debt increased by an unknown amount for an unknown period of time
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like OP can call off the mob:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44062476
    Asda has suspended a controversial £99 petrol pump deposit trial after an outcry from customers.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Options
    I've been to many fuel stations that had some pumps where pay at pump was available or mandatory at some pumps (my local ASDA is half pay at pump, half pay at kiosk, Tesco asks you which you want at the pump), but none that were entirely unmanned and all pumps required pay at pump. Do such places exist?
    As already stated, yes ...
    Asda, Aintree, Liverpool. Unmanned and pay at pump only.
    There's a Costco that my Daughter uses to buy fuel - I'm sure is pay at pump only. Haydock I think.
    Yup, CostCo is pay at pump only. And there's a £99 limit, but it doesn't seem to take £99 and give it back again - we pay for what we put in.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    2e0arr wrote: »
    It passes a reasonableness test that the customer should be informed and warned that their available credit will be reduced and their debt increased by an unknown amount for an unknown period of time

As it was a credit card it was not your money that was being reserved anyway, so it had zero impact on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure