£99 deposit on fuel.

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's probably to get get folk away from using pay at pump and get them in the shop to spend money on other things. Not sure this works with ASDA as I don't think they have many fuel station shops, mostly unmanned or just pay booth. Plan would work great for Sainsburys and Morrisons as they have a shop at every fuel station.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's probably to get get folk away from using pay at pump and get them in the shop to spend money on other things. Not sure this works with ASDA as I don't think they have many fuel station shops, mostly unmanned or just pay booth. Plan would work great for Sainsburys and Morrisons as they have a shop at every fuel station.

They had shops long before they started to install pay at pump facilities, so I doubt if your conclusion is correct.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Asda have scrapped the whole idea after public outcry !
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 6:50PM
    Options
    L
    agrinnall wrote: »
    As it was a credit card it was not your money that was being reserved anyway, so it had zero impact on you.

It was apparently taken from your account and sometimes not repaid for two or three days
    How does that NOT AFFECT YOU ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    They had shops long before they started to install pay at pump facilities, so I doubt if your conclusion is correct.

Shop takings decline since introduction of pay at pump. Ramp up charge for using pay at pump = more folk back in the shop. Simples.

I'm on about the fuel station shop, not the supermarket the fuel station is attached to.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem wasn't/isn't the ring fencing of the money, it was/is the unbelievable Banking "system" that means even in the 21st century, the simplest of electronic transactions takes many days rather than happening instantly.

How difficult is it to ringfence £99, dispense fuel upto a maximum of £99, 2 minutes later charge £30 out of the ringfenced money and instantly release the rest?

If you only have £30, ringfence £30, dispense a maximum of £30 , charge the correct amount and release the rest?

Not exactly Rocket Science.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    it's called rip off Britain.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shop takings decline since introduction of pay at pump. Ramp up charge for using pay at pump = more folk back in the shop. Simples.

I'm on about the fuel station shop, not the supermarket the fuel station is attached to.

Great theory,not so great when many Asda stations dont have a shop.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Great theory,not so great when many Asda stations dont have a shop.

I already said that not for ASDA as they are unmanned or booth, but great for Sainsburys and Morrisons.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    it's called rip off Britain.

It's called a storm in a teacup.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure